Exadra37

Exadra37

MacBook M1 with Lenovo Touch Display

I am thinking in buying one as the second monitor for my Thinkpad while I am travelling:

Anyone has experience in using one as a second monitor?

Most Liked

mindriot

mindriot

I know that this solution doesn’t really suit your needs but for others who might be seriously considering an iPad with this as part of their use case, the iPad does support the pen functionality in sidecar. It also works for any of the iPads that support both pencil and sidecar not just the pro model. I know a few designers for whom the iPad has been good enough at this that they ditched their graphics tablets.

If you are not using it with a Mac then there are apps that give you sidecar like functionality including pen support with other devices. I’ve never tried them but I’d expect it would be more something to try if you already have an iPad or are mainly getting one for other reasons and would see it more as a bonus rather than a must have primary use case.

To return to your original question, I have never used this device but I have seen people at work recommend them when this question has been asked on slack channels so from what I have heard it is quite good if you are looking for a portable extra display. The conversations didn’t really touch on experiences using it in more specialised uses (colour accuracy or things like that) so that might still be something to consider, but in general it seems to work well and be well made etc.

mindriot

mindriot

That is unfortunate. There does seem to be similar devices from other manufacturers, maybe one of them has better suited connectivity options? I’d imagine unless you were looking for touch or pen support then most of them should be fairly simple to plug and play.

Exadra37

Exadra37

My laptop is from 2015. In new Thinkpad models will be easier to find compatible models with the Thinkvision monitor.

This monitor seems to match the quality of normal monitors while alternatives seem to fall very short on this regard. Regarding connectivity of alternatives is something I will need to do some research on, but the image quality being poor is something that puts me off of considering them.

No, not looking for touch or pen support. Just want a portable second monitor that offers the same image quality I have in the laptop monitor.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Perhaps we can add some vids on sound differences, those I’ve seen so far are giving the plastic cases a nice stock sound (you could do s...
New
AstonJ
Seen any nice artisan keycaps? Got any? Ordered any? This thread was inspired by the one @foxtrottwist has :nerd_face:
New
First poster: bot
One of the questions I often come back to is this: how much of our collective wealth is inherited by our generations versus created by ou...
New
First poster: bot
Enjoy Life. Offline. Your Minimalist Phone. Mindful design, essential functionalities, an eye-friendly E Ink display, a dedicated OS and ...
New
First poster: bot
CutiePi is a Raspberry Pi 4 tablet that turns your project into an untethered adventure. Build and create wherever an idea strikes you. N...
New
First poster: bot
For many of my school and university years, I used and liked my ThinkPad X200 ultraportable laptop. But now that these years are long gon...
New
OvermindDL1
I’m curious what’s the opinions on the Steam Deck of those here? A new handheld PC put out by Valve, primarily intended for gaming but i...
New
foxtrottwist
I love my programmable, mechanical keyboards. Keyboardio Atreus, ZSA Moonlander and the Planck EZ. By far my favorite is the Moonlander. ...
New
Ghost
Hello. I am totally green, if we talk about hardware. Could anybody recommend to me, how I could get into this knowledge? My main goal...
New
bsrtech
Blame AI! Samsung’s reported 100% QoQ increase in NAND Flash contract prices in Q1 2026 confirms a structural shift in the memory market....
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New