AstonJ

AstonJ

Apple M1 Mac Reviews

The reviews are coming in - if you spot any or have a review of your own, please add it :nerd_face:

@ohm will be pleased, they seem to be pretty positive so far!

Most Liked

Hallski

Hallski

Got my MBA earlier this week and even after reading a lot about it I’m blown away.

I had to reach for experimental VSCode for native support and haven’t got neovim and ripgrep to compile natively. But luckily for Advent of Code, Elixir/Erlang is native so everything runs twice as fast for that :slight_smile:.

ohm

ohm

I heard the fan for a brief moment yesterday. I was running Postgres, a Rails app, Docker (with Redis running), Chrome with 20 tabs (one playing video, YouTube) and Steam running Oxygen Not Included at 60fps.

The fan turned on and spun up for a minute or so and then stopped again. :exploding_head:

ohm

ohm

I still haven’t heard the fan more than that one time.

I currently have Slack, VSCode, PostgreSQL, Docker (running Redis), a Rails app, Chrome with ~30 tabs, Notion (Electron app) and a bunch more running. :sweat_smile:

I am so happy for this little machine! :heart:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Do you use (or does your dev machine have) a Retina or HiDPI screen? poll Here’s an explanation of what HiDPI is - from Steve Jobs when ...
New
hauleth
This post is a followup of @AstonJ request here. We should start with some basis before we talk further - keyboard is in most cases the ...
New
AstonJ
Here’s why: He makes a convincing argument against staggered, and the first comment sums it up: Once I learned why the s...
New
AstonJ
Seen any nice artisan keycaps? Got any? Ordered any? This thread was inspired by the one @foxtrottwist has :nerd_face:
New
First poster: bot
Enjoy Life. Offline. Your Minimalist Phone. Mindful design, essential functionalities, an eye-friendly E Ink display, a dedicated OS and ...
New
First poster: kokolegorille
Seagate recently published its long-term technology roadmap revealing plans to produce ~50 TB hard drives by 2026 and 120+ TB HDDs after ...
New
First poster: bot
Robert Bosch (ROBG.UL) opened a 1 billion euro ($1.2 billion) chip plant in Germany on Monday, a record investment by the leading automot...
New
AstonJ
I found an old electric monitor and thought I’d see what my LG5K monitor while connected to the Mac was using - it powers the Mac and all...
New
First poster: bot
I’m now the proud owner of a new Sony Walkman. Yes, they’re still a thing, and I couldn’t be more chuffed! The photo below shows us Stayi...
New
CommunityNews
Shop Dell UltraSharp Thunderbolt Hub Monitor U5226KW. 6K ultrawide curved display, 120Hz refresh, & TUV-certified eye comfort​.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
pragdave
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New