jdsutherland

jdsutherland

Modern Front-End Development for Rails (beta 6 pg 37) - Stimulus targets issues

I ran into issues around pg. 37 related to stimulus targets with the following console error:

day_toggle_controller.ts:6 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot set property thingToHideTarget of # which has only a getter

I also noticed that the book src code dir stimulus/03 doesn’t work (click hide has no effect), but stimulus/04 does work. This leads me to believe the issue is related to targets but I haven’t done a thorough analysis. I’m not sure if this is likely to be versioning issues or what but it might be useful for anyone else trying to work through the book.

Most Liked

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

This error is related to the Webpacker and Babel setup that changed in Webpacker 5.1, so it is related to targets in that targets cause the static elements to be used and the Babel setup has some trouble with that language feature.

it’s possible that some of the directories in the sample code weren’t updated properly, I’ll take a look.

Thanks!

msducheminjr

msducheminjr

This might be a change in how the released version of Stimulus 2.0 handles implicit properties, but I was getting the same error on line 6. Just removing the line with the property declaration caused the code to work.

// app/javascripts/controllers/day_toggle_controller.ts
import { Controller } from "stimulus"

export default class DayToggleController extends Controller {
  static targets = ["thingToHide"]

  // This was the offending line. Was expecting a different error when commented out, but it worked 
  // thingToHideTarget: HTMLElement

  toggle() {
    console.log('Click! Click! Boom!')
    this.thingToHideTarget.classList.toggle("is-hidden")
  }
}

I’m only on page 37 and don’t know Typescript or Stimulus, so I don’t know if this will cause problems later on.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
raul
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type. Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt? ...
New
HarryDeveloper
Hi @venkats, It has been mentioned in the description of ‘Supervisory Job’ title that 2 things as mentioned below result in the same eff...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
Keton
When running the program in chapter 8, “Implementing Combat”, the printout Health before attack was never printed so I assumed something ...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: