belgoros
Review: Agile Web Development with Rails 8
I’ve been following the books "Agile Web Development with Rails " since Rails 3 version. Sure, I’ll never be grateful enough to the authors for the efforts they brought to publish all these books. But as for its latest version, I can, unfortunately, notice the decreasing quality of the material:
- in the Playtime section, there are some tasks/changes to implement. But if you are stuck, you have no way to compare your version vs the working one, as it is just impossible to figure out which depo_** folder matches which chapter. So you leave your application in a state which blocks you from moving forward.
- there is no mention of how the source code of the ‘depot’ application has to be used. Instead of naming the folders according to the chapter, a weird naming was chosen: depot_a…depot_xb which provide no guess to which chapter it is related.
- some tests are failing because of incoherence of the provided material.
Rails 8 bringing a lot of useful and more rich functionalities, the book just overflew them compared to the previous Rails versions. It is really a regrettable downgrade in quality.
First Post!
apsori
Maybe the target of the book are those new to Rails so the authors just skimmed over the new features?
Popular General Dev topics
I picked up Metaprogramming Elixir with the intent of reading it at a later time, once I had a bit more exposure and experience with Elix...
New
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
I finished the book just last month! Super happy with the results. To celebrate I wrote an article and posted about my experience.
For a...
New
Review: The Art of Functional Programming - A solid introduction to functional programming and OCaml
A short and sweet book on functional programming, its advantages, and its possible uses.
Suitable for beginners on FP or for experienced...
New
I’ve been following the books "Agile Web Development with Rails " since Rails 3 version. Sure, I’ll never be grateful enough to the autho...
New
Other popular topics
Hello Devtalk World!
Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
New
Author Spotlight
Mike Riley
@mriley
This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
Big O Notation can make your code faster by orders of magnitude. Get the hands-on info you need to master data structures and algorithms ...
New
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun
Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Latest in Agile Web Development with Rails 8
General Dev>Reviews
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11387)
- Dev Chat (208)
- Questions (38)
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware (60)
- Reviews
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /markdown









