mikecargal

mikecargal

Hands-on Rust: can_place logic is "inside out"

Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab)

Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_place logic is inside-out. Current code starts with assumption that you can’t place and then set’s it to true if any of the positions work:

        let mut can_place = false;// (4)
        dimensions.for_each(|pt| {// (5)
            let idx = mb.map.point2d_to_index(pt);
            let distance = dijkstra_map.map[idx];
            if distance < 2000.0 && distance > 20.0 && mb.amulet_start != pt {// (6)
                can_place = true;
            }
        });

I think you need to start with a more positive attitude :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (you can_place unless you find something invalid):

        let mut can_place = true;
        dimensions.for_each(|pt| {
            let idx = mb.map.point2d_to_index(pt);
            let distance = dijkstra_map.map[idx];
            if distance >= 2000.0 || distance < 20.0 || pt == mb.amulet_start {
                can_place = false;
            }
        });

I’m also seeing some other weirdness:

  • player stepping off into darkness,
  • inaccessible floor tiles (I can see them diagonally)
  • monsters on top of one another (pretty sure I’ve seen that)

I’m assuming the others are typos on my part and I have a good bit of debugging ahead of me. Will let you know what I find.

BTW, normally (i.e. in other environments I’ve coded in), every time something “weird” happened, I’d set up a unit test to catch it and then fix it (ensuring it’s never happen again). Would be interesting how unit testing i handled where there’s so much randomness involved.

Most Liked

herbert

herbert

Author of Hands-on Rust

Hey, sorry about the slow replies. I’ve been really rather unwell, and slept through the last week and a half or so. :frowning: I’ll go over this thread today and turn it into action items. I’m going to have to strike a balance between the focus of the book (teaching Rust/gamedev) and making the procgen content a bit more solid. I’ll get back to you soon with some ideas - thanks for taking the time to look at it all.

mikecargal

mikecargal

Yeah, after spending more time just enhancing things to learn more Rust, I’m definitely seeing the trade off with focus on book topics, and going down side topics too much. Don’t envy you trying to find the right balance.

herbert

herbert

Author of Hands-on Rust

The “master” build on github is going through heavy testing, with a view to pushing a bug-fix release very soon. Waiting on a winit update that fixes a bunch of Big Sur issues to try and include them at the same time.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
herminiotorres
Hi @Margaret , On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11 But on page 3 almost the en...
New
raul
Hi Travis! Thank you for the cool book! :slight_smile: I made a list of issues and thought I could post them chapter by chapter. I’m rev...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
New
mert
AWDWR 7, page 152, page 153: Hello everyone, I’m a little bit lost on the hotwire part. I didn’t fully understand it. On page 152 @rub...
New
bjnord
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
SlowburnAZ
Getting an error when installing the dependencies at the start of this chapter: could not compile dependency :exla, "mix compile" failed...
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New

Sub Categories: