Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Enable/disable a button in Phoenix 1.7 depending on state

Background

I have a button that may be disabled or not, depending on a set of conditions. I want to disable/enable the button without having to reload the page.

To achieve this I am using the following code:

my_app_live.ex

#provided as a sample
def disable_buttton? do
  if :rand.uniform(100) > 50 do
    "true"
  else
    "false"
  end
end

my_app.html.heex

<.button disabled={disable_button?)}>Execute Command</.button>

core_components.ex

  def button(assigns) do
    extra = assigns_to_attributes(assigns, [:disabled])

    assigns = assign(assigns, :disabled?, case Map.get(extra[:rest], :disabled) do
      "true" -> true
      _ -> false
    end)

    ~H"""
    <p><%= "INSIDE BUTTON: #{inspect(@disabled?)}" %></p>
    <button
      type={@type}
      class={if @disabled? do
      [
        "rounded-md bg-slate-400 px-3 py-2 text-sm font-semibold text-white shadow-sm",
        @class
      ]
    else
      [
        "rounded-md bg-indigo-600 px-3 py-2 text-sm font-semibold text-white shadow-sm",
        "active:text-white/80",
        @class
      ]
    end}
      {@rest}
    >
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    </button>
    """
  end

Problem

For some reason, <p><%= "INSIDE BUTTON: #{inspect(@disabled?)}" %></p> always shows true and thus the button is always disabled.

In reality disable_buttton? may return true/false depending on which buttons are selected (if all forms have a value, then the button should be enabled), however I am unaware of any pattern to do this in Phoenix.

I am also not convinced I am using assigns properly.

Questions

  1. How can I enable/disable a button in Phoenix, depending on state?
  2. Am I using assigns_to_attributes and assign correctly in this sample?

I read Phoenix.Component — Phoenix LiveView v0.19.5 but I still don’t quite understand what I am missing here.

Marked As Solved

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Fl4m3Ph03n1x

Issues found

The main reason my code didn’t work was because my disable_button? function was returning "false" instead of false. To be more precise:

So, in Phoenix LV, if the value is false the attribute disabled is removed from the node, while if it is any other thing (like "false"), the node gets the attribute as disabled=“something else”, which means that because disabled is still present, irrespective of value, it is considered as a disabled button.

This differs from the behaviour in the browser, where if I add disable="false" the browser will not consider the node disabled.

Source: Enable/disable a button in Phoenix 1.7 depending on state - #6 by Fl4m3Ph03n1x - Questions / Help - Elixir Programming Language Forum

Another issue is that this function also needs to return a value that depends on the state itself. In this case I am generating a random number, which is independent of state, thus the button would never update.

Answer

So, for those who are curious, this is the code I ended up with:

core_components.ex

This is my modified button function:

  @doc """
  Renders a button.

  ## Examples

      <.button>Send!</.button>
      <.button phx-click="go" class="ml-2" disabled=false>Send!</.button>
  """
  attr :type, :string, default: nil
  attr :class, :string, default: nil
  attr :disabled, :boolean, default: false
  attr :rest, :global, include: ~w(form name value)

  slot :inner_block, required: true

  def button(assigns) do
    ~H"""
    <button
      type={@type}
      class={if @disabled do
      [
        "rounded-md bg-slate-400 px-3 py-2 text-sm font-semibold text-white shadow-sm",
        @class
      ]
    else
      [
        "phx-submit-loading:opacity-75 rounded-md bg-indigo-600 px-3 py-2 text-sm font-semibold text-white shadow-sm",
        "hover:bg-indigo-500 active:text-white/80",
        @class
      ]
    end}
      {@rest}
      disabled={@disabled}
    >
      <%= render_slot(@inner_block) %>
    </button>
    """
  end

And here is how I use it:

my_app_live.html.heex

<.button class="min-w-full" disabled={disable_button?(@param1, @state)}>Execute Command</.button>

This depends on the state, because the state changes with time, which means my button’s appearance will also change with time!

Where Next?

Popular Frontend topics Top

New
The_Exile
I am new to programming. I started reading Eloquent Javascript 3rd Edition, as the book comes highly recommended as a good place for beg...
/js
New
brian
I’m working with a designer who created a design in Photoshop. I am mostly a Node.js and Android dev, but when I have worked with designe...
New
harwind
First have a look at the code: function mainfunc(func, par3, par2){ window[func](par3, par2); } function calledfunc(par3, par2){ ...
/js
New
WiseDan
hi everybody , am new in gsap.js so i wanted load content in my home page when user scrolling , but since am reading the documentation ...
New
JessicaW33
Hello All, How would you implement a navigation system in React Native? Could not find a way so I ask the community can someone help me ...
New
JessicaW33
Hello everyone, I’m working on optimizing the performance of React Native applications and would like to gather insights and suggestions...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have Phoenix umbrella application. When inside said application, I can run it without issues if MIX_ENV=prod. However, if I ...
New
hosseinkhosromanesh
hello , i should code a cluster like image bellow we have no challenge in coding backend but in front need some clue to do this its a dy...
/js
New
Benjamin-Philip
I’m curious about designing some websites and applications for personal (and potentially public via open sourcing) use. I’m an experience...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New