DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

What is your opinion about Caramel, the OCaml compiler with Erlang backend?

@rvirding
@OvermindDL1

Most Liked

ostera

ostera

Creator of Caramel

Thanks! :raised_hands: Happy to be here :smile:

OCaml and Reason aren’t at the scale of TypeScript or Elixir, but they have a loyal and caring community :slight_smile:

Oh boy it is! :grin:

I actually started making a type-checker for Erlang, as I wanted to really understand what were the hard parts about it. I chose to cram in a well-typed language into Erlang and try to get the same program out of Erlang afterwards, and thus Caramel as an OCaml to Erlang compiler was born.

The next milestone I’m working towards is actually recovering the type information from the generated Erlang programs to verify that the compilation is sound.

I think anyone dealing with complex state machines should seriously consider this. Having a type-level representation of your business domain logic can be incredibly useful to rule out illegal representations, making them entirely unrepresentable, and having a tool tell you pretty much instantly if you’re about to do something you shouldn’t do.

Rapid prototyping and fearless refactors on large codebases are two other things that I really enjoy in OCaml, and that you would be able to get through Caramel as well.

Well, yes it does! OCaml is a highly expressive language, and building type-safe DSLs in it for specific problems is fairly common amongst the more idiomatic users. Check cmdliner as an example, or fmt.

In addition, the OCaml module system is by far the most powerful (and still type-safe) one I’ve seen put to production, so it should help with code reuse, enforcing codebase conventions, and large-scale refactors as well.

Indeed, there’s a lot of tradeoffs being made here. For example, the OCaml object system (OOP support) will not be supported in the current compilation mode. Same goes for other features like first-class modules (treating an entire module of code as a value), or mutability.

I am however experimenting with ways in which some of the existing ecosystem codebase that is not trivially translatable can be made usable from within the BEAM by means of generating NIFs. We do have a lot of type-information to guide this process :slight_smile:

Hope this helps :raised_hands:

davearonson

davearonson

Sounds :sunglasses: sweet!

rvirding

rvirding

Creator of Erlang

I think the idea is very good. I don’t have any feeling for how popular OCaml is so I don’t know if it will bring more users into the Erlang Ecosystem.

And I must say that personally I think implementing languages is a lot of fun. :smile:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down...
New
New
jaeyson
Hi all, does anybody tried Shankar Devy’s Phoenix Inside Out book series? Also, will there be a big difference (aside from context prior...
New
malloryerik
With 100% less blockchain. I went searching for a lightweight immutable database that could be audited and ran into this. I guess this ...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New