DevotionGeo

DevotionGeo

Why is the PickAxe book's new version's size reduced by half?

I am planning to refresh my Ruby knowledge in a month or two, after using other technologies more frequently for a few years. Luckily I won this month’s Pragmatic Bookshelf’s giveaway, and requested the PickAxe book ( Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition) by @pragdave ). I’m planning to read this book cover to cover, and I may also read Learn to Program by @chrispine (I own that too).

  1. I noticed that the new version of the PIckAxe book is half the size of the previous version. Do I need to worry about that. Did they omit something important? Do I read the previous version instead?
  2. Is it a good idea to read both of the books? If yes, in which order? Or reading only one of them is enough?

I’m not a complete beginner, I know Ruby and I have used Rails for years, but after learning Elixir and Go, I kind of abandoned Ruby, and now I want to refresh it and be very good at it.

Most Liked

chrispine

chrispine

Author of Learn to Program

Hi! Honestly, if you know Ruby, you really don’t need my book. It’s not even really about Ruby; it’s about programming, just using Ruby as the base language.

If the newest Pickaxe is shorter than it used to be, it’s almost certainly because they used to include the standard library reference at the end. I’m guessing that kept growing to the point where it no longer made sense to include all of it. Also, the standard library reference is online, so you really don’t need a printed copy of it. (I don’t actually have the latest Pickaxe, so the above is just a guess.)

Go for the Pickaxe!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

Hi – author of Pickaxe book here with a couple of answers to the questions:

Thanks so much for your interest in the new version of the book.

  • @chrispine is correct that we’re not including the entire API as reference, and also correct on why – it’s bulky, easily out of date, and readily available elsewhere.
  • We’re also not quite finished yet – we’ll be adding a few chapters that are basically “How Do I Do X in Ruby” that will cover the most useful parts of the API that aren’t covered in the book.
  • The non-API portion of the book is actually 75-100 pages longer than the previous version, most of which is new features, some of which is a wider discussion of tooling, and some of which is deeper explanation in some places.

I hope that helps, thanks!

Noel

AstonJ

AstonJ

Yep, I would agree with Chris that it’s because it no longer includes the reference (the first edition came out when broadband was more expensive/slower/not as available, so it made sense to include it then).

I think you should definitely read @chrispine’s book tho! It won’t take you long and it’s a MASSIVE confidence booster! It was the book that made me feel like I could be a programmer :003:

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

justinjunodev
Figured this would be a cool topic and maybe provide some inspiration for those who are just starting to work from home. Feel free to sha...
New
wolf4earth
Inspired by this thread about arcade games - which I initially misread as favorite arcade game soundtracks - I wanted to ask about your f...
New
jaywengrow
Hello! It’s Jay Wengrow, author of A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms. My book now has a supplemental website, where ...
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this tweet by @dasdom Even if you take out all the damage being done by humans, our planet has about 50B years before bein...
New
Exadra37
I am a Linux user since 2012, more or less, and I always use Ubuntu on my computers, and my last 2 laptops have been used Thinkpads, wher...
New
Rainer
Not sure if following fits exactly this thread, or if we should have a hobby thread… For many years I’m designing and building model air...
New
dwaynebradley
In their weekly newsletter, Jared Santo from the Changelog shared this blog post by Mark Ericksen over at fly.io: What is really inter...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been watching Prag Dave’s Elixir course and I noticed he uses tree: Tree is a recursive directory listing program that produces a ...
New
Exadra37
My brother got a VPS on https://contabo.com hosting provider, but I was not aware of them, and when my brother told me the price and spec...
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New