harwind

harwind

C++ String to Integer Conversion

I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conversion is handled correctly and safely, especially when dealing with potential exceptions or invalid input.

Here’s a simplified example of what I’m trying to do:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main() {
    std::string str = "12345"; // This could be any numeric string.

    // How can I safely convert the string 'str' to an integer?

    int num = ???; // The converted integer should be stored here.

    std::cout << "Converted integer: " << num << std::endl;

    return 0;
}

In this code, I have a string str containing a numeric value. I want to convert this string into an integer variable num . However, I want to handle potential issues gracefully, such as cases where the string is not a valid integer. Could you offer a C++ code sample illustrating the proper and secure approach to convert a string to an integer while managing any potential exceptions or errors? I appreciate you helping me. I attempted to visit multiple sites like Scaler to locate the answer, but I was unable to do so. Thank you.

Most Liked

gulshan212

gulshan212

Well, I can see some logical issues with your code.
Can you try this code and confirm wether it is working or not.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <stdexcept> // Include this for std::invalid_argument and std::out_of_range

int main() {
    std::string str = "12345"; // This could be any numeric string.

    int num = 0; // The converted integer will be stored here.

    try {
        num = std::stoi(str);
        std::cout << "Converted integer: " << num << std::endl;
    } catch (const std::invalid_argument& e) {
        std::cerr << "Invalid argument: " << e.what() << std::endl;
    } catch (const std::out_of_range& e) {
        std::cerr << "Out of range: " << e.what() << std::endl;
    }

    return 0;
}

Thanks

Eiji

Eiji

I’m not a senior C++ developer, so I have no idea about the best way, but this should work:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <cctype>

int main() {
  std::string str = "123";
  // str[0] - gets the first character
  // isdigit(character) - checks if character is a digit
  // stoi throws invalid_argument exception
  // if string does not start with a digit
  if (isdigit(str[0])) {
    /*
    stoi means "String TO Integer"
    you can easily change it to for example:
      * stof ("String TO Float"),
      * stol ("String TO Long")
      * and so on …
    */
    int num = std::stoi(str);
    std::cout << "[DONE] Converted integer: " << num << std::endl;
  } else {
    std::cout << "[ERROR] Invalid input string: " << str << std::endl;
  }

  return 0;
}

Helpful resources

  1. Reference : string : stoi
  2. Reference : cctype : isdigit
Eiji

Eiji

For me looks good. I have tested it on my MX Linux distribution.

It’s interesting how much the code says about it’s author. In my case 7 years in Elixir gives result …

  1. Even if somehow I remember somewhat about try/catch I was still looking for a “better” solution, so I have added one extra dependency for a single isdigit call. :sweat_smile:

  2. std:err of course! When I saw your code I have reminded it immediately. :older_man:

  3. stdexcept is interesting. Maybe I have used it, but I don’t remember it much especially e.what() call. I guess that I haven’t used multiple catch blocks before in C++. :bulb:

  4. out_of_range error handling is simple, but also brilliant idea. I’m not surprised that I wasn’t thinking about such edge case since in Elixir we have just Integer for all well … integers (no small or big ones). :+1:

  5. I only wonder why you define num variable outside of try block having in mind it’s only usage is within it, but that’s definitely not the most important thing. :thinking:

So much to learn in such a small code, thanks! :open_book:

Adding additional links below to the documentation pages:

  1. Reference : stdexcept : invalid_argument
  2. Reference : stdexcept : out_of_range

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
Which screen resolutions do you frequently use? Note: not the resolution the display is capable of mind, but the resolution you’re using...
New
AstonJ
What chair do you have while working… and why? Is there a ‘best’ type of chair or working position for developers?
New
AstonJ
In your opinion which programming languages are simple to use and easy to get started wither those who don’t have a computer science bac...
New
chasekaylee
Hi there! I have some old Bose in ear noise cancelling headphones that have worked like a champ for the past 3 years and was maybe due fo...
New
AstonJ
Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil: Are there any book clubs you’d...
New
AstonJ
Maybe a specific language or framework? Or a book or tool perhaps? What’s made your life easier and what do you think could make the live...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
AstonJ
Do we have any digital nomads here? Anyone fancy it? If so, which countries would you consider? I’ve been toying with the idea for a wh...
New
harwind
I’m working on a C++ program where I need to convert a string containing a numeric value into an integer. I want to ensure that this conv...
New
AstonJ
Curious whether you remap your Caps Lock. Do you remap your Caps Lock key? poll I have no idea what Globe is btw, just seen it in the ma...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New