AstonJ

AstonJ

Which book clubs shall we start next?

Hi everyone… I’m so sorry about the delay in getting this thread up, I’ve just been so busy :see_no_evil:

Are there any book clubs you’d like to see? If so please say in this thread! Who knows, you might get someone to join you!

What do they entail? Simply a thread where you and anyone else who wants to join in speaks about your journey with the book (something like one post per chapter). As you can see from this book club - they can be a lot of fun!


Since one of our objectives here on Devtalk is to help you become the best dev you can be, I reckon we can use some of our MOTY (Members of the Year) books for this as well - they’d probably be going to you anyway - and so this is a more fun/social use of them :smiley:

Perhaps we can start with up to 6 book clubs via this initiative (maybe 3 PragProg titles and 3 Manning titles) and I reckon we can give away 2 copies per title/book club to start with.

So… a) please say in this thread if you’d like to see a book club, and, b) if you’d like to be considered for a copy of the book too please PM me (I think a fair way to do this is by activity, so more active members would be higher up the list of receiving one than less active members).

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Gosh there are so many I want to read!!!

I still want to finish the Programming Erlang Book Club (I hope to get back to it soon @Rainer!) and I already bought @herbert’s #book-hands-on-rust as I’m super interested in WASM and Rust seems to be a great way to get into that. And there are lots of Elixir & Erlang books I’m interested in too!

However I’m much more interested in the books you all want to read so will be keeping an eye on this thread with interest :nerd_face:

mafinar

mafinar

I am going to do a second reading on “Domain Modeling Made Functional: Tackle Software Complexity with Domain-Driven Design and F#” aka one of the best books I have read on the topic (or, programming in general). I think it would be awesome if I can get a few co-readers, the topics covered in the book is very discussion friendly and should be much more fun than reading solo. I will open up the topic tomorrow.

I am resuming Programming Erlang as well.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
KyleHunter
What is a good language for beginners to make apps like snapchat and instagram?
New
AstonJ
I just watched this: (tldr: remove bad choices so you don’t need to use willpower) It got me thinking about ways to incre...
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
finner
When you are under pressure to deliver you ideally want your Pull Request to be reviewed, approved and merged as quick as possible. So do...
New
finner
One of my 2021 resolutions is to read more tech books. As part of this effort I purchased two MEAPs (Manning Early Access Program) which...
New
OvermindDL1
What shell(s) do you use, why do you use them, and how do you have them configured? Note, this is about shell’s, not terminals, terminal...
New
Exadra37
A modern streaming platform for mission critical workloads Redpanda is a Kafka® compatible event streaming platform. No Zookeeper®, no JV...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
AstonJ
Thought this would be a nice way to start the year - have you seen or written a function (or method) or piece of code that you are partic...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New