Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

Call for new PragProg Proposals Committee Members

Hello DevTalk Community!

Once again, The Pragmatic Programmers are looking for developers who’d like to help shape the future of our book lineup. Our Proposals Committee is a group that reviews incoming book proposals and offers recommendations. While this is an unpaid role, we recognize contributors on our About Us page.

Our goal is to provide constructive feedback to prospective authors. Even if a proposal isn’t the right fit for PragProg, we want to ensure the author walks away with valuable insights—whether that means refining their pitch for another publisher or strengthening their approach for self-publishing.

What we look for in feedback:

When reviewing a proposal, we encourage committee members to consider questions like:

  • Who is the audience?
    • Does the author clearly describe the ideal reader?
    • Will the book engage novices without frustrating them?
  • What is the author’s tone?
    • Is the writing engaging and approachable?
    • Does it feel like a tour guide or more like a roadmap?
  • Does the book solve real challenges for developers?
    • Does it address key pain points in the topic area?
    • Could a developer easily find this information elsewhere?
  • How does it compare to existing books?
    • Is it too broad or too niche?
    • Does it provide a unique perspective?
  • Is the author connected to the intended audience?
    • Can they actively engage with the developer community?

You don’t need to answer these questions directly—just keep them in mind when reviewing a proposal. The best feedback comes from your own perspective and expertise. We do ask that each review includes a recommendation: Yes (with reasons), Maybe (with suggested improvements), or No (with constructive feedback).

:bulb: It helps if you’ve read a few PragProg books and are familiar with our hands-on, practical style.

If you’re interested in joining the Proposals Committee, send a message to margaret.eldridge@pragprog.com, and I’ll send over a sample proposal to review.

Feel free to post any questions here or reach out via email.

Thanks for considering this opportunity to help shape the future of PragProg books!

Most Liked

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

Hello Margaret,

This looks interesting.

I’m curious, how long in terms of word/page count is a typical proposal? And do you have timelines for when proposals should be reviewed?

Thanks!

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

Great questions, @alvinkatojr.

Proposals are typically 2 to 3 pages in length, with a writing sample of 7 to 10 pages. We ask committee members to respond within 1 week.

alvinkatojr

alvinkatojr

Thanks for the reply @Margaret! I’ve just send you an email.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
The obligatory speed test thread :smiley: Check here: https://www.speedtest.net When complete, click on the share link and copy and pas...
New
KyleHunter
What is a good language for beginners to make apps like snapchat and instagram?
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
AstonJ
Want to plug where you work? Here’s your chance! Perhaps you could also mention what kind of stuff you’re working on? :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
Inspired by this post from @Carter, which languages, frameworks or other tech or tools do you think is killing it right now? :upside_down...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
dwaynebradley
For those that are interested, Snyk (developer security tool) announced support for Elixir earlier this week: Just thought I’d pass it...
New
AstonJ
Just listened to @rvirding’s interview here and he mentions #lua (and Luerl) - just wondered if anyone’s used Lua and what you think of it?
New
harwind
I’m working on a Spring Boot project and I have a controller where I want to map multiple request paths to a single method. Let’s say I h...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
dimitarvp
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux: I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New