Exadra37

Exadra37

Server location vs load time for the end user

Your users of the two forums are spread across the world, thus I am curious how did you solved it?

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

If you have an international user base look for a provider with a multi-redundant network connected to key Internet exchanges, tho in fairness most good data centres will be. So the other thing you can do is on the hardware side, with things like an SSD and enough RAM.

ioping on two servers, one with SSDs and the other with standard HDs (both configured in a RAID array with the same number of drives each):

1

ioping -RD -w 10 .

--- . (ext4 /dev/md2) ioping statistics ---
112.1 k requests completed in 9.48 s, 437.9 MiB read, 11.8 k iops, 46.2 MiB/s
generated 112.1 k requests in 10.0 s, 437.9 MiB, 11.2 k iops, 43.8 MiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 53.2 us / 84.6 us / 6.10 ms / 45.5 us

2

ioping -RD -w 10 .

--- . (ext4 /dev/md2) ioping statistics ---
11.8 k requests completed in 9.92 s, 46.1 MiB read, 1.19 k iops, 4.65 MiB/s
generated 11.8 k requests in 10.0 s, 46.1 MiB, 1.18 k iops, 4.61 MiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 147.7 us / 840.6 us / 163.3 ms / 2.71 ms

However standard SSDs and enough RAM is fine for most applications. What will be interesting (for me at least) is to see how they differ with a LiveView app (which I can’t wait to do! :lol:)

Exadra37

Exadra37

This doesn’t solve the problem for the users that are distant from the server.

Let’s say this forum is hosted in UK and I am accessing it from Brazil, Africa, Australia, Japan, etc, it will be slow for sure, but usable I think.

Exadra37

Exadra37

Don’t bet on it. The speed of light is not that fast for internet across huge distances and many hops(routers).

Even people from the pacific ocean side of United States will experience latency when visiting a complex/heavy sites hosted in Europe.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

AstonJ
A thread that every forum needs! Simply post a link to a track on YouTube (or SoundCloud or Vimeo amongst others!) on a separate line an...
New
AstonJ
Just been adding some more portals, currently have the following languages: Apache Groovy C C# C++ Clojure CoffeeScript Crystal ...
New
jss
What do people think about Data-Oriented Programming, like this book tackles? https://www.manning.com/books/data-oriented-programming Ho...
New
jamiedumont
This is all going to be a bit hand-wavey and straight off the top of my head, so bear with me, but it’s a thought/debate that’s been ratt...
New
Exadra37
A modern streaming platform for mission critical workloads Redpanda is a Kafka® compatible event streaming platform. No Zookeeper®, no JV...
New
Exadra37
Kubernetes is everywhere. Transactional apps, video streaming services and machine learning workloads are finding a home on this ever-gro...
New
AstonJ
Just wondering whether you have a preference (I know I do!) poll
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
DevotionGeo
For me it’s six to seven steps above complete dark, on MacBook Air M1.
New
harwind
I’m developing a web-based application that uses Java servlets to make RPC calls. I’m searching for a solid technique to dispatch and ha...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New