Sanjibukai

Sanjibukai

Programming Phoenix LiveView: current_user and assign_new (page 60)

Hello everyone,
In page 60, the book is suggesting the following about reducing the number of database call when fetching the user in LiveView on_mount:

This more advanced problem gives you a chance to optimize your LiveView
authorization code.

In the PentoWeb.UserAuthLive.on_mount/4 callback, assign the socket assigns
key of :current_user using the assign_new/38 function in order to ensure that
you don’t need to make additional database calls:

  • When the live view first mounts in its disconnected state and the plug
    pipeline has already populated :current_user in the Plug.Conn struct.
  • If the live view is being redirected to itself, and its socket assigns
    already contains a key of :current_user.

So I guess the solution is to do the following:

def on_mount(_, _params, %{"user_token" => user_token} = session, socket) do
  socket =
    socket
    |> assign_new(:current_user, fn -> Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(user_token) end)

  if socket.assigns.current_user do
    {:cont, socket}
  else
    {:halt, redirect(socket, to: "/users/log_in")}
  end
end

Doing so reduce by one the database call indeed. But I noticed that’s there is still 2 database calls…
One from that on_mount and one from the earlier plug fetch_current_user.

I guess the reason it’s because in the plug we are populating the current_user in the Plug.Conn while only leaving the user_token in the session.
Then in the LiveView mount since we are not reading from the Conn but from the session and because there is no current_user in the session but only the user_token, that second database call is somehow mandatory…

But as suggested in the exercise (the first bullet point above), how can we leverage the fact that the current_user already exists in the Plug.Conn so that there is now really only one user fetching in the databse?

Thank you very much.

First Post!

flavius-popan

flavius-popan

I’ve struggled to understand this exercise too, it’s really hard to wrap my head around and I wonder if the auth code has changed too much in v1.0.0 to still be a valid challenge.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
jdufour
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
fynn
This is as much a suggestion as a question, as a note for others. Locally the SGP30 wasn’t available, so I ordered a SGP40. On page 53, ...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: