andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails: Do you run clusters on your MacBook?

Title: High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

@aapsql @andatki

A reader wrote this by email. Re-posting here:

Do you run clusters on your MacBook?

I use macOS, yes. In the book, readers will install local (updating to 16 now) PostgreSQL (I recommend PostgresApp if you’re on macOS), and then do everything from there.

I also added some new shell scripts to provision the databases, roles, with app-specific schema, and minimal grants/privileges following some PostgreSQL best practices, to the Rideshare repository. You can find those in the “db” directory. There’s also other postgres config files added to the “postgresql” directory like .pgpass and pg_hba.conf as sample files, and I’ll expand on their purpose as needed for the book. These aren’t what you’d take into production, but they can help practice with those config files.

In production where I work we run Postgres mainly via AWS. The configuration is all quite different from this local config, although this local config would be closer to running PostgreSQL in a self-hosted way. Since a lot of startups use cloud providers like AWS, GCP, Azure, not to mention Crunchy Data etc. and other newer players like Supabase, Tembo, etc., I focused on the local PostgreSQL experience and direct installations.

I’m looking to add more instructions for Linux and Windows from volunteers. I’m also interested in dev containers and other modern containers that don’t add a lot of complexity. In later chapters, readers use Docker to run multiple instances of PostgreSQL with replication and other use cases. I will be working on updating those examples so they all use PostgreSQL 16 as well.

Does that answer your question? Please keep the feedback coming. Thanks!

Marked As Solved

andatki

andatki

Author of High Performance PostgreSQL for Rails

MacOS support will be ongoing. Some readers run Linux and report differences in their initial DB cluster roles and databases or things like that. GitHub source code examples for the book will be updated over time. Check there for the latest info.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
iPaul
page 37 ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is); as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be: CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
jesse050717
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116 Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex> product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
mcpierce
@mfazio23 I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: