Chrichton

Chrichton

Programming Phoenix LiveView: B03 (page 56-57) auth exercise

Dear Sophie.
I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions:

  1. When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the function “&Routes.user_confirmation_url(conn, :confirm, &1)” in “user_confirmation_controller.ex”.
    I wasn’t able to find this function.
    Where is it located or how is it created dynamically?

  2. I added the “username” field without problem, but when I set it to unique and made it safe with “unsafe_validate_unique(:username, Pento.Repo)” some tests failed. I tried to fix them via modifying the fixture()-Function, but still two test concerning the uniqueness of the “email” failed.
    Is there an easy way to get the generated tests running, when adding a second unique field?

Thanks for your superb book.
I learned a lot from this exercise, especially the sending of the confirmation-email via Bamboo and Sendgrid.

Best wishes from Heiko

Most Liked

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hi again @Chrichton!

So the Routes.user_confirmation_url/3 isn’t defined as such in your router. It’s defined under the hood of Phoenix by virtue of the user_confirmation_path routes that were added to your router.ex file by the Phoenix Auth generator. The function itself is passed as an argument to the Accounts.deliver_user_confirmation_instructions/3 function in the UserConfirmationController controller. In that Accounts function, the Routes.user_confirmation_url/3 is finally invoked to return the user confirmation URL, with the correct user token, to be rendered in the email sent to the user. I would trace the code flow in the Accounts.deliver_user_confirmation_instructions/3 to get a better understanding of how the Routes.user_confirmation_url/3 function is being used.

Re: your exercise solution:

It looks like your solution will ensure that a user is redirected to the "/guess" route when the complete the log in process. But the challenge is actually asking you to ensure that if a user who is logged in visits /, that they get automatically redirected to /guess. You can solve this a few different ways.

  • Add a function plug to the :browser pipeline in the router.ex to redirect the user from / to /guess if they are logged in. Like this:
#router.ex
defmodule PentoWeb.Router do
  use PentoWeb, :router
  import Phoenix.Controller
  ...
  pipeline :browser do
    plug :accepts, ["html"]
    plug :fetch_session
    plug :fetch_live_flash
    plug :put_root_layout, {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}
    plug :protect_from_forgery
    plug :put_secure_browser_headers
    plug :fetch_current_user
    plug :redirect_if_logged_in # add me!
  end
  
  ...
  
  def redirect_if_logged_in(conn, _opts) do
    if conn.assigns.current_user && conn.request_path == "/" do
      redirect(conn, to: "/guess")
    end
    conn
  end
end

This requires importing the Phoenix.Controller module into the router to get the redirect/2 function, which I don’t love.

You could also add some logic to the PageLive live view’s mount function to do a redirect if there is a logged in user. This is the live view that handles the / route. It would look something like this:

# lib/pento_web/live/page_live.ex
 def mount(_params, %{"user_token" => _}, socket) do
    {:ok, redirect(socket, to: "/guess")}
  end

  def mount(_params, session, socket) do
    {:ok, assign(socket, query: "", results: %{})}
  end

Here, you are checking to see if there is a logged in user based on whether or not the session argument given to mount has a "user_token"key present. If so, there is a logged in user and you can use theredirect` function to do a redirect.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
yulkin
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex> product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
brunogirin
When running tox for the first time, I got the following error: ERROR: InterpreterNotFound: python3.10 I realised that I was running ...
New
New
taguniversalmachine
Hi, I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test. I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “us...
New
dtonhofer
@parrt In the context of Chapter 4.3, the grammar Java.g4, meant to parse Java 6 compilation units, no longer passes ANTLR (currently 4....
New
dachristenson
I’ve got to the end of Ch. 11, and the app runs, with all tabs displaying what they should – at first. After switching around between St...
New

Other popular topics Top

New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: