herminiotorres

herminiotorres

Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir: various errata

Hi @Margaret ,

On page VII the book tells us the example and snippets will be all using Elixir version 1.11

But on page 3 almost the end of the page when has a print of the IEx console, the version of the Elixir is 1.9.4 instead of 1.11.


So and the most part of the book suggest use the recompile function on IEx, but sometimes after you change your code you continue to receive :noop on IEx, maybe change the approach to use the r function, e.g., r(Sender), will be more efficient, using this way I tell recompile the Sender module on my application and no matter what if I change my code or not.

Most Liked

herminiotorres

herminiotorres

I like to share my thoughts about the book.

Chapter 1:
I like your thoughts and perspective to use Task and Task.Supervisor, but maybe share how to create our own custom Task.Supervisor.

Chapter 2:
I like the idea you use to create the GenServer and use it to improve the application to run Task on Chapter 1. It has good details about GenServer and the callbacks our module needs to implemented and introduce the last instructions about the tuple and the spec each callback receives as params. I feeling missing how to design the application supervisor tree, and how to think in perspective to guarantee our applications weren’t stop, maybe more content about Registry and how to use how to customize it and Supervisor and DynamicSupervisor too, the difference between both supervisors. The last thing is how to observe and debug, introducing this instrumentation when working with the OTP.

Chapter 3:
I like the idea to drop into GenStage after the GenServer chapter because you are very fresh thoughts and very close to using these concepts for most GenServer applications. In this chapter, the knowledge about the supervisor tree is critical because you need to build how your entire stages need at least one process for each stage running. If some stage of my application it’s going down, the next or previous stage will fail. It could be more content about the Dispatcher, and I feel very quickly and small.

I like the application examples and how to use them to explain and conquer this knowledge about this abstract concept; sometimes it’s difficult to understand, a great book, and congrats. I’m very curious/excited about the next chapters and releases.

svilen

svilen

Author of Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir

Thank you for the kind words, and for sharing your ideas, Herminio! I really appreciate it!

Margaret

Margaret

Editor at PragProg

@dimitarvp thanks – we are just in the first beta, so not yet in print. In print date should be August 2021.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimschubert
In Chapter 3, the source for index introduces Config on page 31, followed by more code including tests; Config isn’t introduced until pag...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
cro
I am working on the “Your Turn” for chapter one and building out the restart button talked about on page 27. It recommends looking into ...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
jgchristopher
“The ProductLive.Index template calls a helper function, live_component/3, that in turn calls on the modal component. ” Excerpt From: Br...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
davetron5000
Hello faithful readers! If you have tried to follow along in the book, you are asked to start up the dev environment via dx/build and ar...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
AstonJ
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one: I got 51/100: Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: