MarkE

MarkE

Gradients: Checking my reasoning

Hi Jamis,

I’ve been working my way through Chapter 10: Generalising Patterns and came up agains a problem with the gradient. When applied to a Sphere, I found that the gradient was running twice across it with a hard line at X=0 (same issue as logged here: The Ray Tracer Challenge: Gradient pattern is not a gradient

I just want to double-check my interpretation of your answer is correct.

I have an AbstractPattern class which implements the general colour_at_object method. This translates the point to pattern-space via object-space thus:

    def colour_at_object(self, obj: "AbstractObject", p: Point) -> Colour:
        # Convert point to object space
        object_point = cast(Point, obj.inverse_transform * p)

        # Convert object point to pattern space
        pattern_point = cast(Point, self.inverse_transform * object_point)

        return self.colour_at(pattern_point)

Then, in the Gradient sub-class I’m implementing the colour_at method as follows:

    def colour_at(self, p: Point) -> Colour:
        distance = cast(Colour, self.b - self.a)
        # Map pattern space from [-1, 1] to [0, 1] so pattern doesn't repeat
        multiplier = (p.x + 1) / 2

        return self.a + distance * multiplier

This seems to correctly map the returned colour so that the gradient will now work across a unit sphere (breaks the tests, mind so I’ll need to fix those) … but just want to ensure that my reasoning is sound and there’s not something I’ve missed along the way?

First Post!

Shadoka

Shadoka

Hi MarkE,

I’m the author of the thread that you linked and I’m pretty sure I tried something similar to your approach at first :slight_smile:

The problem with your solution is that you shift your whole gradient, so it won’t render as you might want.

I rendered two images, one with my (I mean, Jamis really) implementation and one with yours.
Both gradients should go from red to green.

My implementation:

Your implementation:

And it makes sense when you think about it. Plug in -1 for X and the term in your method evaluates to 0. Which means that the leftmost point is going to get mapped to exactly the middle of the gradient.

Hope this helps!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
alanq
This isn’t directly about the book contents so maybe not the right forum…but in some of the code apps (e.g. turbo/06) it sends a TURBO_ST...
New
jeremyhuiskamp
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9) The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
jskubick
I think I might have found a problem involving SwitchCompat, thumbTint, and trackTint. As entered, the SwitchCompat changes color to hol...
New
adamwoolhether
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
akraut
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error. lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
AstonJ
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply… File > New Rule: And select Deny, O...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New

Sub Categories: