kporceil
The Ray Tracer Challenge: refraction issue: passed all the tests but at the render it doesnt work like expected
Hello,
first of all, thanks for the book, it helped me a lot.
I just encountered an issue with the refraction, i have implemented the tests and made them all pass, but when i want to render with refraction, the render is not really what i think it should be.
Here some picture :
the yellow sphere have a transparancy of 1 and a refractive_index of 1
here is my main code :
int main(void)
{
t_world world = world_create();
world.lights_count = 1;
world.objs_count = 6;
world.objs = malloc(sizeof(t_shape) * world.objs_count);
world.lights = malloc(sizeof(t_plight) * world.lights_count);
world.objs[0] = sphere(0);
world.objs[0].material.pat = pattern(GRADIENT, color(0.1, 0.5, 1), color(0.1, 1, 0.5));
pattern_set_transform(&world.objs[0].material.pat, matrix_mult(matrix_translation(-1, 0, 0), matrix_scaling(2, 2, 2)));
world.objs[0].material.color = color(0.1, 1, 0.5);
world.objs[0].material.diffuse = 0.7;
world.objs[0].material.specular = 0.3;
shape_set_matrix(world.objs, matrix_translation(-0.5, 1, 0.5));
world.objs[1] = sphere(1);
world.objs[1].material.color = color(0.5, 1, 0.1);
world.objs[1].material.diffuse = 0.7;
world.objs[1].material.specular = 0.3;
shape_set_matrix(world.objs + 1, matrix_mult(matrix_translation(1.2, 0.7, -0.5), matrix_scaling(0.7, 0.7, 0.7)));
world.objs[2] = sphere(2);
world.objs[2].material.transparency = 1;
world.objs[2].material.refractive_index = 1;
world.objs[2].material.color = color(1, 0.8, 0.1);
world.objs[2].material.diffuse = 0.7;
world.objs[2].material.specular = 0.3;
shape_set_matrix(world.objs + 2, matrix_mult(matrix_translation(-1.5, 0.33, -0.75), matrix_scaling(0.33, 0.33, 0.33)));
world.objs[3] = plane(3);
world.objs[3].material.pat = pattern(CHECKER, color(0, 0, 0), color(1, 1, 1));
world.objs[3].material.color = color(0, 0, 0);
world.objs[4] = plane(4);
world.objs[4].material.color = color(0.7, 0.4, 0.3);
world.objs[4].material.ambient = 0.6;
shape_set_matrix(world.objs + 4, matrix_mult(matrix_translation(0, 0, 12), matrix_mult(matrix_y_rotation(-(M_PI/12)), matrix_z_rotation(M_PI/2))));
world.objs[5] = plane(5);
world.objs[5].material.color = color(0.2, 0.6, 0.4);
world.objs[5].material.ambient = 0.6;
shape_set_matrix(world.objs + 5, matrix_mult(matrix_translation(-3, 0, 0), matrix_mult(matrix_y_rotation(M_PI/12), matrix_z_rotation(M_PI/2))));
world.lights[0] = point_light(point(-2, 10, -5), color(1, 1, 1));
t_camera cam = camera(1920, 1080, M_PI / 2);
camera_set_transform(&cam, view_transform(point(0, 1, -7), point(0, 1, 0), vector(0, 1, 0)));
t_canva image = render(cam, world);
if (!image.canva)
return (1);
(void)image;
char *ppm = canva_to_ppm(image);
write_file("render/test.ppm", ppm);
free(ppm);
free(image.canva);
free(world.objs);
free(world.lights);
}
Here my refracted_color function :
t_color refracted_color(t_world world, t_precomp comps, size_t remaining)
{
double n_ratio;
double cos_i;
double cos_t;
double sin2_t;
t_color c;
if (comps.obj->material.transparency == 0 || remaining == 0)
return (color(0, 0, 0));
n_ratio = comps.n1 / comps.n2;
cos_i = dot(comps.eyev, comps.normalv);
sin2_t = n_ratio * n_ratio * (1 - cos_i * cos_i);
if (sin2_t > 1)
return (color(0, 0, 0));
cos_t = sqrt(1.0 - sin2_t);
color_at(world, ray(comps.under_point, tuple_substract(tuple_scalar_mult
(comps.normalv, n_ratio * cos_i - cos_t), tuple_scalar_mult
(comps.eyev, n_ratio))), &c, remaining - 1);
return (color_scalar_mult(c, comps.obj->material.transparency));
}
I don’t really know how to get the refraction worked, if something can help please !
First Post!
kporceil
I solved it ! I just realized that I compute under_point before normal vector inversion.
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
your book suggests to use Image.toByteData() to convert image to bytes, however I get the following error: "the getter ‘toByteData’ isn’t...
New
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295)
(feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”)
I have somet...
New
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint.
How to replicate:
load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error:
tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
The markup used to display the uploaded image results in a Phoenix.LiveView.HTMLTokenizer.ParseError error.
lib/pento_web/live/product_l...
New
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below:
d...
New
Modern front-end development for Rails, second edition - Struggling to get the first chapter to work
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
Hello @herbert ! Trying to get the very first “Hello, Bracket Terminal!" example to run (p. 53). I develop on an Amazon EC2 instance runn...
New
@mfazio23
I’ve applied the changes from Chapter 5 of the book and everything builds correctly and runs. But, when I try to start a game,...
New
Other popular topics
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
No chair. I have a standing desk.
This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux:
I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
Author Spotlight
Mike Riley
@mriley
This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework.
Miguel Gr...
New
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released.
Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Build robust LLM-powered apps, chatbots, and agents while mastering AI engineering principles that will help you outlast the tools and th...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /lua
- /quarkus
- /laravel










