mvellandi

mvellandi

Exploring Graphs with Elixir: Installing Neo4j (p.141)

Exploring Graphs with Elixir by @tonyhammond: P.181 — Ch 5 > Creating the PropertyGraph Project

For anyone curious about installing Neo4j or experiencing issues.
There’s a “Neo4j Desktop” which includes “Enterprise Edition”, and there’s a “Community Edition” which I chose.

For Mac, I used this Homebrew formula
Also brew install the listed openjdk version to avoid potential errors when starting neo4j.
I had a previous openjdk version installed which caused issues, so reinstalled.

If using APOC, you probably might need to enable it as a plugin.
For mac, I went to my installation directory at: $HOME/neo4j)
then move the “apoc-version-core.jar” file from the “labs” to the “plugins” directory.

Lastly, if you’re getting errors, you may need to modify the neo4j configuration file to allow security settings for external plugins/other full database access
Mac with Homebrew: $HOME/neo4j/conf/neo4j.conf

I added this line after googling my error:

dbms.security.procedures.unrestricted=gds.*,apoc.*

First Post!

tonyhammond

tonyhammond

Author of Exploring Graphs with Elixir

Hi mvellandi:

Am late to this forum but will be going back though your earlier comments. And thanks for posting those. Let me start here anyway. :slight_smile:

So, I had been keping (brief) notes on server installation back to an appendix which we didn’t include in the beta. I thought I had also included something about APOC installation there but now see that I haven’t. Must have made a mental note and then not followed up. But perhaps I could have also said something in the text. I just saw that I added something similar for the n10s library in Chapter 11:

Installation is very simple. You just need to copy the neosemantics jar file into the plugins folder of your local Neo4j instance, update the Neo4j config file, and restart the server. For details, see the Installation guidelines.

Btw, I didn’t know you could install Neo4j using brew. Very cool. Also I did have to upgrade my openjdk for the latest Neo4j.

One thing I haven’t discussed in the book are the UIs for the various graph databases which can be very helpful in visualizing the graphs. I guess I was more focused on interacting with graph databases from an Elixir perspective only, and mainly from IEx. And so I didn’t talk about jumping between different tools which certainly allows for a much better understanding.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
New
jamis
The following is cross-posted from the original Ray Tracer Challenge forum, from a post by garfieldnate. I’m cross-posting it so that the...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display) It looks like ​.with_simple_console_no_bg​(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
AleksandrKudashkin
On the page xv there is an instruction to run bin/setup from the main folder. I downloaded the source code today (12/03/21) and can’t see...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
jwandekoken
Book: Programming Phoenix LiveView, page 142 (157/378), file lib/pento_web/live/product_live/form_component.ex, in the function below: d...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

Exadra37
I am thinking in building or buy a desktop computer for programing, both professionally and on my free time, and my choice of OS is Linux...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
AstonJ
poll poll Be sure to check out @Dusty’s article posted here: An Introduction to Alternative Keyboard Layouts It’s one of the best write-...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
foxtrottwist
A few weeks ago I started using Warp a terminal written in rust. Though in it’s current state of development there are a few caveats (tab...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Develop, deploy, and debug BEAM applications using BEAMOps: a new paradigm that focuses on scalability, fault tolerance, and owning each ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: