mvellandi

mvellandi

Exploring Graphs with Elixir: Missing behaviour import, struct, cypher file (p.181)

Exploring Graphs with Elixir by @tonyhammond: P.181 — Ch 5 > Setting Up a Graph Service > API Demo

After starting iex in the umbrella project, then importing PropertyGraph, we are told to call:

iex>​​ ​​default_graph​​ ​​=​​ ​​read_graph(​​"default.cypher"​​)​
​ 	​#GraphCommons.Graph<type: property, file: "...", data: "CREATE (a)-[:EX]...">

However, read_graph hasn’t been defined yet.
We need to first add the following to the PropertyGraph module:

use GraphCommons.Graph, graph_type: :property, graph_module: __MODULE__

From that read_graph call, I don’t recall creating nor seeing the “default.cypher” in the source codebase:
graph_commons/priv/storage/property/graphs/default.cypher

I believe perhaps a cypher file with the following should work:

CREATE (a)-[:EX]->(b)

Shortly later, we call:

iex>​​ ​​graph_info​
​%GraphCommons.Service.GraphInfo{
​ 	  labels: [],
​ 	  num_edges: 1,
​ 	  num_nodes: 2,
​ 	  type: :property
​}

For me, this returned an undefined function error for PropertyGraph.new_query/1
So I looked at the definition of graph_info/0 in the book’s previous section on p.182

def​ graph_info() ​do​
​ 	  {​:ok​, [stats]} =
​ 	    @cypher_info
​ 	    |> PropertyGraph.new_query()
​ 	    |> query_graph
​ 	
​ 	  %GraphCommons.Service.GraphInfo{
​ 	    ​type:​ ​:property​,
​ 	    ​num_nodes:​ stats[​"​​nodeCount"​],
​ 	    ​num_edges:​ stats[​"​​relCount"​],
​ 	    ​labels:​ Map.keys(stats[​"​​labels"​])
​ 	  }
​ end

I noticed
1:
Although GraphCommons.Query hasn’t been formally defined, by duplicating GraphCommons.Graph to GraphCommons.Query
and changing “graph” to “query” references and checking the module’s source codebase, we should have a new_query/3 function.

However, PropertyGraph.new_query is called here with only 2 out of 3 arguments: @cypher_info and (implicitly) the query_type
Is there a missing argument for query_file ?
I couldn’t figure this out.

2:
And for graph_info/0 to return a %GraphCommons.Service.GraphInfo{} struct, I believe we need to first define the module which I didn’t see in the source codebase. So I made one here:
graph_commons/lib/graph_commons/service/graph_info.ex

Searching the source codebase for GraphInfo structs, I found the following attributes variously used, and so defined the module as follows:

defmodule GraphCommons.Service.GraphInfo do
    defstruct ~w[type num_nodes num_edges labels density file]a
end

First Post!

mvellandi

mvellandi

Regarding #1 above, getting PropertyGraph.new_query to work with one or two arguments:
I revised the definition of “using” macro in GraphCommons.Query to use a default arg:

def new_query(query_data, query_file \\ "") do
   if unquote(query_type) in [:dgraph, :native, :property, :rdf, :tinker] do
      GraphCommons.Query.new(query_data, query_file, unquote(query_type))
   end
end

Simple fix.
A code editor’s language server may need some time to recognize this as not an issue.

If you now run PropertyGraph.graph_info/0 again and get this next error below (like I did):

{ :error,
   %Bolt.Sips.Error{
      code: "Neo.ClientError.Procedure.ProcedureNotFound", 
      message: "There is no procedure with the name `apoc.meta.stats` registered for this database instance. Please ensure you've spelled the procedure name correctly and that the procedure is properly deployed."
   }
}

It means APOC-Core, included with Neo4j, hasn’t been added as a plugin.
Lastly, the Neo4j security settings configuration may need a one-line config for enabling plugin/other resource full database access.
I’ve written another post on DevTalk with how I installed Neo4j on OSX.

Cheers

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
joepstender
The generated iex result below should list products instead of product for the metadata. (page 67) iex&gt; product = %Product{} %Pento....
New
adamwoolhether
When trying to generate the protobuf .go file, I receive this error: Unknown flag: --go_opt libprotoc 3.12.3 MacOS 11.3.1 Googling ...
New
leonW
I ran this command after installing the sample application: $ cards add do something --owner Brian And got a file not found error: Fil...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
rainforest
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels. Before ...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New

Sub Categories: