csrfr

csrfr

Distributed Services with Go: accessing the service outside the pods (Beta-4 pg.223)

Once deployed, I am not able to access the service outside the prolog pods. I can run the client successfully and access the service from a client running on one of the proglog pods.

However, I am not able to access the service from the following locations:

  1. Laptop: The client connection hangs and then returns connection error while dialing dial tcp: lookup proglog-0.proglog.mysvcs.svc.cluster.local: no such host. I am dialing using the EXTERNAL-IP address of proglog-0 from k8s in the client (This address works when used from a proglog pod).

  2. From a pod in the k8s cluster but not a proglog pod. It prints the following error repeatedly ERROR: 2020/10/31 18:59:29 [core] subconn returned from pick is not *acBalancerWrapper. Also, the acBalancerWrapper error appears when running the client from a proglog pod (where it usually works) from time to time.

Anyone faced this before, ideas?
At the moment I’m looking into GetServers returning the K8s DNS names (e.g. proglog-0.proglog.default.svc.cluster.local:8400 rather than the EXTERNAL-IP of the pods.

Marked As Solved

travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

Yeah we should return ErrNoSubConnAvailable like so:

func (p *Picker) Pick(info balancer.PickInfo) (
	balancer.PickResult, error) {
	p.mu.RLock()
	defer p.mu.RUnlock()
	var result balancer.PickResult
	if strings.Contains(info.FullMethodName, "Produce") ||
		len(p.followers) == 0 {
		result.SubConn = p.leader
	} else if strings.Contains(info.FullMethodName, "Consume") {
		result.SubConn = p.nextFollower()
	}
	if result.SubConn == nil {
		return result, balancer.ErrNoSubConnAvailable
	}
	return result, nil
}

so gRPC will block the RPC until a new picker is available with available sub connections.

Also Liked

travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

For 1. did you port-forward the pod/service to expose it outside k8s’ network? That’s what the $ kubectl port-forward pod/proglog-0 8400 8400 command in the book is for.

  1. Could be because leader election is still underway so a nil subconn is returned for it.
travisjeffery

travisjeffery

Author of Distributed Services with Go

For 2. I think the error handling should be improved. I’m looking into it.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

telemachus
Python Testing With Pytest - Chapter 2, warnings for “unregistered custom marks” While running the smoke tests in Chapter 2, I get these...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
patoncrispy
I’m new to Rust and am using this book to learn more as well as to feed my interest in game dev. I’ve just finished the flappy dragon exa...
New
nicoatridge
Hi, I have just acquired Michael Fazio’s “Kotlin and Android Development” to learn about game programming for Android. I have a game in p...
New
brunogirin
When I run the coverage example to report on missing lines, I get: pytest --cov=cards --report=term-missing ch7 ERROR: usage: pytest [op...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New

Sub Categories: