taguniversalmachine

taguniversalmachine

Real-Time Phoenix: ProductChannelTest - undefined function describe/2 (pg 203)

Hi,

I am getting an error I cannot figure out on my test.
I have what I think is the exact code from the book, other than I changed “use” to “import” to fix a deprecation warning:

defmodule Sneakers23Web.ProductChannelTest do

  #use Sneakers23Web.ChannelCase, async: true
  import Sneakers23Web.ChannelCase
  alias Sneakers23Web.{Endpoint, ProductChannel}
  alias Sneakers23.Inventory.CompleteProduct

  describe "notify product released" do
    test "the size selector for the product is broadcast" do
      {inventory, _data} = Test.Factory.InventoryFactory.complete_products()
      [_, product] = CompleteProduct.get_complete_products(inventory)

      topic = "product:#{id}"
      Endpoint.subscribe(topic)

      ProductChannel.notify_product_released(product)

      assert_broadcast "released", %{size_html: html}

      assert html =~ "size-container__entry"

      Enum.each(product.items, fn item ->
        assert html =~ ~s(value="#{item.id}")
      end)
    end
  end
end

The error I get is:

sneakers_23 % mix test

12:57:13.705 [info] Migrations already up
…
== Compilation error in file test/sneakers_23_web/product_channel_test.exs ==
** (CompileError) test/sneakers_23_web/product_channel_test.exs:8: undefined function describe/2
(stdlib 3.15.2) erl_eval.erl:685: :erl_eval.do_apply/6
(elixir 1.12.1) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:428: Kernel.ParallelCompiler.require_file/2
(elixir 1.12.1) lib/kernel/parallel_compiler.ex:321: anonymous fn/4 in Kernel.ParallelCompiler.spawn_workers/7

I can imagine why describe would not show up if I am not importing the right test module, but why is it saying I have describe/2 when I am clearly only giving it one argument? Changing import back to use doesn’t fix anything either.

Marked As Solved

sb8244

sb8244

Author of From Ruby to Elixir and Real-Time Phoenix

Ah, that’s due to the Erlang version. You are right to upgrade it if you’re following with other books.

I’m unsure of the problem you’re facing because changed the use to import in channel_case.ex but no difference is not correct. When you change from use to import there, that warning will disappear.

I’m unable to provide updated code for the book because that has to go through a process with the publisher. I’m willing to evaluate my options for providing a code-update, but I need to get their thoughts here.

What about this: you upload your warning code (not the one with :pg2 failing) to Github and I’ll update it to work with latest Erlang/Elixir without warnings. I cannot do every chapter’s code, but I can do it for the current code you’re stuck on. It is likely something you can then apply to other chapters.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

belgoros
Following the steps described in Chapter 6 of the book, I’m stuck with running the migration as described on page 84: bundle exec sequel...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
swlaschin
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
AndyDavis3416
@noelrappin Running the webpack dev server, I receive the following warning: ERROR in tsconfig.json TS18003: No inputs were found in c...
New
curtosis
Running mix deps.get in the sensor_hub directory fails with the following error: ** (Mix) No SSH public keys found in ~/.ssh. An ssh aut...
New
jskubick
I found an issue in Chapter 7 regarding android:backgroundTint vs app:backgroundTint. How to replicate: load chapter-7 from zipfile i...
New
taguniversalmachine
It seems the second code snippet is missing the code to set the current_user: current_user: Accounts.get_user_by_session_token(session["...
New
jonmac
The allprojects block listed on page 245 produces the following error when syncing gradle: “org.gradle.api.GradleScriptException: A prob...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
AstonJ
Or looking forward to? :nerd_face:
503 15149 280
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: