elesq
Distributed Services with Go: 'make tests' fails on testProduceConsume (code matches at this stage) page 132
@travisjeffery
As per instructions up to page 132, I have checked the code against the downloadable resources and A/B’d back and forth. Everything appears to be in good shape. At this point, it tells me to update the NewGRPCServer function and then I can run make test and everything will pass as before. Unfortunately, the tests are failing.
make test
go test -race ./...
? github.com/myusername/proglog/api/v1 [no test files]
? github.com/myusername/proglog/cmd/server [no test files]
? github.com/myusername/proglog/internal/config [no test files]
ok github.com/myusername/proglog/internal/log (cached)
--- FAIL: TestServer (0.00s)
--- FAIL: TestServer/produce/consume_a_message_to/from_the_log_succeeds (0.00s)
panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference [recovered]
panic: runtime error: invalid memory address or nil pointer dereference
[signal SIGSEGV: segmentation violation code=0x1 addr=0x28 pc=0x17a26a3]
goroutine 20 [running]:
testing.tRunner.func1.2(0x1817ae0, 0x1ccd540)
/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.16.6/libexec/src/testing/testing.go:1143 +0x49f
testing.tRunner.func1(0xc000082d80)
/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.16.6/libexec/src/testing/testing.go:1146 +0x695
panic(0x1817ae0, 0x1ccd540)
/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.16.6/libexec/src/runtime/panic.go:971 +0x499
github.com/elesq/proglog/internal/server.testProduceConsume(0xc000082d80, 0x0, 0x0, 0xc00017e530)
/Users/ed/code/myusername/go/book-distributed-services-with-go/proglog/internal/server/server_test.go:107 +0x1e3
github.com/myusername/proglog/internal/server.TestServer.func1(0xc000082d80)
/Users/ed/code/myusername/go/book-distributed-services-with-go/proglog/internal/server/server_test.go:34 +0x118
testing.tRunner(0xc000082d80, 0xc00009bcf0)
/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.16.6/libexec/src/testing/testing.go:1193 +0x203
created by testing.(*T).Run
/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.16.6/libexec/src/testing/testing.go:1238 +0x5d8
FAIL github.com/myusername/proglog/internal/server 0.482s
FAIL
make: *** [test] Error 1
Check the testcase shows my code is the same as the book and repo. Any ideas?
serve_test.go:107
produce, err := client.Produce(
ctx,
&api.ProduceRequest{
Record: want,
},
)
require.NoError(t, err)
and server_test:34
t.Run(scenario, func(t *testing.T) {
client,
config,
teardown := setupTest(t, nil)
defer teardown()
fn(t, client, config) // this is line 34
})
Cheers
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
Hi,
build fails on:
bracket-lib = “~0.8.1”
when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0:
Compiling winit v0.22.2
error[E0308]: mi...
New
The book has the same “Problem space/Solution space” diagram on page 18 as is on page 17. The correct Problem/Solution space diagrams ar...
New
I’m running Android Studio “Arctic Fox” 2020.3.1 Patch 2, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I only made it to page 8 before running into ...
New
I’m not quite sure what’s going on here, but I’m unable to have to containers successfully complete the Readiness/Liveness checks. I’m im...
New
Hey there,
I’m enjoying this book and have learned a few things alredayd. However, in Chapter 4 I believe we are meant to see the “>...
New
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book.
After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne:
In the image above, I re...
New
Modern Front-End Development for Rails - application does not start after run bin/setup (page xviii)
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70)
I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root},
This results in the following following error:
no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
Other popular topics
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart:
A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON
When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework.
Brian Okken @brianokken
Edited by Kat...
New
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
Was just curious to see if any were around, found this one:
I got 51/100:
Not sure if it was meant to buy I am sure at times the b...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application.
Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming.
Minh Quang Tran
The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /nodejs
- /arch-linux
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /diversity
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /laravel









