skellt

skellt

Apple Game Frameworks and Technologies: Distance calc could be simpler for this point of the book (p 54)

The very top line of page 52 is let distance = hypot(pos.x-player.position.x, pos.y-player.position.y). As the text below the code snippet explains:

This code uses another built-in function, hypot(), and some math to calculate the speed value based on where the player node is currently located and where it’s headed. The hypot() function uses a bit of trigonometry to calculate the distance between the two points.

The two points in question are the player sprite’s position and the position you tapped on. hypot is taking the 2d distance between the two points, but the player sprite is constrained to only move horizontally – on a single dimension. We could easily compute the distance along only the x axis.

The use of hypot adds some complexity and introduces a subtle bug to the movement. If you tap one inch to the right of the player sprite on the same Y level as it (so on the platform just right of it) the sprite moves over at the speed we expect. But if you tap one inch right of the player sprite, but at the top of the screen, then the sprite moves over much slower than the previous time. That’s because the diagonal from the player at the bottom of the screen up to the top of the screen is longer than the straight line distance when we tapped just to the right. This longer distance computes that we need more time to move that far. But since we are constrained to moving only along the X axis we end up moving the same distance either way. Just faster one way versus the other.

At this point in the book it might be simpler, easier to understand, and more accurate to just compute the distance with:

let distance = abs(pos.x - player.position.x)

Marked As Solved

Paradox927

Paradox927

Author and Editor at PragProg

Hi, David.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I considered using that simpler solution as I was writing this chapter, but I ultimately decided to use the one you see in the book. I did so for the following reasons:

  1. The variation in speed when tapping on the platform versus tapping above it is marginal. Actually, most players probably wouldn’t notice the difference. I’m impressed you caught it. :grin:

  2. Later in the book, the player controls are modified to use an attached controller-knob (for lack of a better term), which also removes the ability to tap the screen to move, consequently removing the minor speed consistency issue.

  3. Readers will likely want to apply this technique to their own games, which may include a character that has a full range of motion. That being the case, I wanted to use this solution, here, because new developers may not know about the hypot() function whereas the abs() function is more common. To be honest, this reason was the primary motivating factor.

After reading your comment, I considered adding a note somewhere about using abs() as an alternative, but this being an already complex topic, I don’t want to muddy the waters. I may, eventually, add a note, but for now, I’m going to leave it as-is.

Thanks again for all of your recent comments. I appreciate your help in making this book a valuable and acurate resource.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
AufHe
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113. Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
EdBorn
Title: Agile Web Development with Rails 7: (page 70) I am running windows 11 pro with rails 7.0.3 and ruby 3.1.2p20 (2022-04-12 revision...
New
ggerico
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1: programming_ML/code/03_...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
roadbike
From page 13: On Python 3.7, you can install the libraries with pip by running these commands inside a Python venv using Visual Studio ...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New

Sub Categories: