pillaiindu

pillaiindu

Do you recommend AWS Amplify for a small scale Uber clone?

Cross posting from HashNode.

A friend of mine is creating Uber-like app for a small company with 200 to 1000 cars. The app will operate in a single city with that number of cars. The app will work like Uber, with user registration, booking a cab, maps, etc.

Do you guys think AWS Amplify or other such solution will be a good idea to back the app? How much would be the server costs at the peak of app’s traffic?

@AstonJ can I post the same on ElixirForum? Because there I’ll get more users to talk about it.

Most Liked

mafinar

mafinar

I made something similar, basically a Fleet Management App but has some Uber like feature such as assign drivers to vehicles, add and plan trips, real-time analytics etc. Its serving ~15k vehicles now.

When we made it (~2009) we used Django for the webapp and Java (with Netty) for collecting GPS data. It was hosted on a VPS (RapidVPS, it was I believe we overspent behind the dedicated 8GB package), it served quite well. I don’t know what stack they are using now though but I think for small scale Uber clone starting with the more traditional approach would be okay like making the API layer with something like Phoenix, front end with React/Native that displays it and a message queue of your choice.

AstonJ

AstonJ

We only have Elixir related threads there now @pillaiindu :smiley:

I’ve not heard of AWS Amplify before but it looks like it’s just for the backend of existing apps?

The Amplify Framework provides a set of libraries and UI components and a command line interface to build mobile backends and integrate with your iOS, Android, Web, and React Native apps. The Amplify CLI allows you to configure all the services needed to power your backend through a simple command line interface. The Amplify library makes it easy to integrate your code with your backend using declarative interfaces and simple UI components.

If so and there’s only going to be 200 to 1000 cars, maybe use Rails or Phoenix as an API only app?

pillaiindu

pillaiindu

@AstonJ @OvermindDL1 @mafinar
What would you use for the server-side of such an app today?
What would you have used if you knew all of the language and frameworks currently used for web/restful-api development?

Languages like C, C++, Dart, Crystal, Go, Haskell, Nim, Lua, Elixir, Erlang, Gleam, Java, Scala, Groovy, Kotlin, Clojure, Ruby, Python, Rust etc, and their frameworks.

Would you use one of the above options or use something like AWS amplify. Let me remind that the application is a small-scale but a serious Uber clone.

Where Next?

Popular Backend topics Top

TwistingTwists
Hello Folks, I am a novice developer from India. Intending to learn Elixir and web apps (phoenix framework). What are things that I MUS...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I am trying to up my Functional Programming (FP) skills and one of the things that newcomers first learn in FP is the Option T...
New
jeya
Dear Geeks I am new to pytest. I am following a youtube channel. I am writing the same code. learning to test login functionality of an...
New
GermaVinsmoke
Does anyone know beginner friendly Elixir/Phoenix Open source projects? For learning purpose :slightly_smiling_face:
New
Ora2pgnewbie
Wanted to check if there is a UI available to use Ora2pg tool.
New
sona11
In Java, if I try to do.equals() on a null string, a null pointer error is issued. I’m wondering whether I can perform the following if I...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background I have to queries that return a colossal amount of data on their own. I cannot use Repo.all as doing so would materialize thes...
New
sona11
I wrote this code to calculate Fibonacci numbers by specifying the size. The results are correct, however the one thing that concerns me ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background As I often do, I read books to learn and improve myself. I also enjoy teaching and helping others when I can, so this is somet...
New
theodor
I have this app where there are a bunch of users that cannot access their account anymore after they updated their Android device to Andr...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
AnfaengerAlex
Hello, I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New