BernardK

BernardK

Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): B1.0 page 269, cd gems/aaagmnr

@noelrappin

page 269, running rspec

These tests pass (after you update the .gemspec file):

$ rspec spec/aaagmnr/options_spec.rb

It would be worth to explicitly mention to cd to code/gems/aaagmnr before running the test. As I work in code, I had an error :

% rspec -fd gems/aaagmnr/spec/aaagmnr/options_spec.rb

An error occurred while loading ./gems/aaagmnr/spec/aaagmnr/options_spec.rb.
Failure/Error:
    RSpec.describe Options do
...
NameError:
  uninitialized constant Aaagmnr::Options
...
0 examples, 0 failures, 1 error occurred outside of examples

I was able to solve it by adding

require_relative '../../lib/aaagmnr'

in options_spec.rb, but it’s not what you have planned.

The trick is that if we are in code/gems/aaagmnr, RSpec can silently load .rspec

--format documentation
--color
--require spec_helper

which requires spec/spec_helper.rb. Thanks to require "aaagmnr" in spec_helper, all the required files are loaded.
Without this infrastructure in code/gems/aaagmnr, for example if I delete .rspec or spec_helper.rb, nothing works :

% rspec spec/aaagmnr/options_spec.rb
Resolving dependencies...

An error occurred while loading spec_helper.
Failure/Error: __send__(method, file)

LoadError:
  cannot load such file -- spec_helper

First Post!

noelrappin

noelrappin

Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails

I think we’ll just note that you should run the specs from the root directory of the gem. Thanks!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
Alexandr
Hi everyone! There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
jskubick
I’m under the impression that when the reader gets to page 136 (“View Data with the Database Inspector”), the code SHOULD be able to buil...
New
Charles
In general, the book isn’t yet updated for Phoenix version 1.6. On page 18 of the book, the authors indicate that an auto generated of ro...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
Henrai
Hi, I’m working on the Chapter 8 of the book. After I add add the point_offset, I’m still able to see acne: In the image above, I re...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: