jconley88
Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): distinction between parameter and argument (pdf page 96)
From Chapter 5: Splat! Expanding Collections in Method Calls
We’ve seen that if you prefix the name of a method argument with an asterisk, multiple arguments in the call to the method will be passed as an array. Well, the same thing works in reverse.
I was confused by this paragraph. The previous sections were related to method definitions and their parameters. I believe the first instance of “argument” in the excerpt above is supposed to be referring to a method definition “parameter”. These terms are often used interchangeably to refer to both or either. Since there is an attempt to explicitly distinguish between the two in the same sentence, I think it warrants extra precision here.
First Post!
noelrappin
Author of Modern Front-End Development for Rails
I’ll take another look at it, thanks!
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
Many tasks_proj/tests directories exist in chapters 2, 3, 5 that have tests that use the custom markers smoke and get, which are not decl...
New
Hello! On page xix of the preface, it says there is a community forum "… for help if your’re stuck on one of the exercises in this book… ...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, vB17.0 (p9)
The create table guestbook syntax suggested doesn’t seem to be accepted ...
New
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition
Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
I’m a newbie to Rails 7 and have hit an issue with the bin/Dev script mentioned on pages 112-113.
Iteration A1 - Seeing the list of prod...
New
Hi, I’ve got a question about the implementation of PubSub when using a Phoenix.Socket.Transport behaviour rather than channels.
Before ...
New
I am using Android Studio Chipmunk | 2021.2.1 Patch 2
Build #AI-212.5712.43.2112.8815526, built on July 10, 2022
Runtime version: 11.0....
New
I got this error when executing the plot files on macOS Ventura 13.0.1 with Python 3.10.8 and matplotlib 3.6.1:
programming_ML/code/03_...
New
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root},
This results in the following following error:
no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New
Disclaimer: I hope all of this is accurate, and not the result of some stupid typo I failed to notice. Anyways…
This post comprises 2 is...
New
Other popular topics
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have?
Would you recommend it? Why?
What will your next keyboard be?
Pics always w...
New
Algorithms and data structures are much more than abstract concepts. Mastering them enables you to write code that runs faster and more e...
New
No chair. I have a standing desk.
This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework.
Brian Okken @brianokken
Edited by Kat...
New
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application.
Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming.
Minh Quang Tran
The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /scala
- /react-native
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /laravel









