sinaru
Programming Ruby 3.2 (5th Edition): page 189 page_to_fetch variable question
There is an example of using Threads on page 188:
require "net/http"
pages = %w[www.rubycentral.org www.pragprog.com www.google.com]
threads = pages.map do |page_to_fetch|
Thread.new(page_to_fetch) do |url|
puts "inside thread id:#{url.object_id}, value:#{url}"
http = Net::HTTP.new(url, 80)
print "Fetching: #{url}\n"
response = http.get("/")
end
end
threads.each { |thread| thread.join }
print "We're done here!\n"
Then on page 189 5th paragraph, it says:
The first thread gets started, and page_to_fetch is set to “www.rubycentral.org”. The meantime, the loop creating the threads is still running. The second time around, page_to_fetch gets set to “pgragprog.com”. If the first thread hasn’t yet finished using the page_to_fetch variable, it’ll suddenly start using this new value.
As I understand the last sentence here is wrong.
page_to_fetch is going to point to the string objects during the loop so no thread will point to the same string.
See below code with additional put statements and the output. Note that object ID is always different:
require "net/http"
pages = %w[www.rubycentral.org www.pragprog.com www.google.com]
threads = pages.map do |page_to_fetch|
puts "outside thread page_to_fetch id:#{page_to_fetch.object_id}, value:#{page_to_fetch}"
Thread.new(page_to_fetch) do |url|
puts "inside thread url id:#{url.object_id}, value:#{url}"
http = Net::HTTP.new(url, 80)
print "Fetching: #{url}\n"
response = http.get("/")
print "Got #{url}: #{response.message}\n"
end
end
threads.each { |thread| thread.join }
print "We're done here!\n"
output:
outside thread page_to_fetch id:60, value:www.rubycentral.org
outside thread page_to_fetch id:80, value:www.pragprog.com
outside thread page_to_fetch id:100, value:www.google.com
inside thread url id:60, value:www.rubycentral.org
Fetching: www.rubycentral.org
inside thread url id:100, value:www.google.com
Fetching: www.google.com
inside thread url id:80, value:www.pragprog.com
Fetching: www.pragprog.com
Got www.google.com: OK
Got www.rubycentral.org: Found
Got www.pragprog.com: Moved Permanently
We're done here!
Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics
As per the title, thanks.
New
page 37
ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(is);
as of ANTLR 4 .8 should be:
CharStream stream = CharStreams.fromStream(i...
New
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
Title: Web Development with Clojure, Third Edition, pg 116
Hi - I just started chapter 5 and I am stuck on page 116 while trying to star...
New
Hi everyone!
There is an error on the page 71 in the book “Programming machine learning from coding to depp learning” P. Perrotta. You c...
New
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chap 8 (Adding a Heads Up Display)
It looks like
.with_simple_console_no_bg(SCREEN_WIDTH*2, SCREEN_HEIGHT*2...
New
Hi,
build fails on:
bracket-lib = “~0.8.1”
when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0:
Compiling winit v0.22.2
error[E0308]: mi...
New
Page 28: It implements io.ReaderAt on the store type.
Sorry if it’s a dumb question but was the io.ReaderAt supposed to be io.ReadAt?
...
New
A Common-Sense Guide to Data Structures and Algorithms, Second Edition by Jay Wengrow @jaywengrow
Hi,
I have the paperback version of t...
New
I ran this command after installing the sample application:
$ cards add do something --owner Brian
And got a file not found error:
Fil...
New
Other popular topics
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it.
Does your monitor have eye p...
New
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
Small essay with thoughts on macOS vs. Linux:
I know @Exadra37 is just waiting around the corner to scream at me “I TOLD YOU SO!!!” but I...
New
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser.
...
New
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code.
...
New
Background
Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









