Chrichton

Chrichton

Programming Phoenix LiveView: B3.0 (page 27)

I tried to do the exercise for the basic LiveView “game”.

One part is:
Show a restart message and button when the user wins. Hint: you might want to check out the live_patch/28 function to help you build that button

Several things were not clear to me:

  • Should the success message and the Restart-Button be displayed in a new LiveView (CorrectLiveVive) or should I use the existing LiveView (WrongLiveView)?

I decided to use the existing LiveView.
As I had to conditionally render the view for the success-case and the wrong-case,
I added another state (answer_guessed Boolean) to the socket.

This allowed me to use this state to conditionally include the “live_patch”-method inside the render-function for the success case.

I then realized, I had to implement the “handle_params”-method correctly.

See: pento/wrong_live.ex at master · Chrichton/pento · GitHub

I am asking: Is there an easier way to solve this exercise?

Thank you for your reply, Heiko

First Post!

SophieDeBenedetto

SophieDeBenedetto

Author of Programming Phoenix LiveView

Hi @Chrichton! Your approach looks pretty clean to me. There was one small error to fix though, your “guess” route definition in router.exs was missing the / before the word “guess”.

You’re right that if you use live_patch/2 you’ll need to implement a handle_params function, and a later chapter will go into all the details there :slight_smile:

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

lirux
Hi Jamis, I think there’s an issue with a test on chapter 6. I own the ebook, version P1.0 Feb. 2019. This test doesn’t pass for me: ...
New
gilesdotcodes
In case this helps anyone, I’ve had issues setting up the rails source code. Here were the solutions: In Gemfile, change gem 'rails' t...
New
brian-m-ops
#book-python-testing-with-pytest-second-edition Hi. Thanks for writing the book. I am just learning so this might just of been an issue ...
New
New
adamwoolhether
Is there any place where we can discuss the solutions to some of the exercises? I can figure most of them out, but am having trouble with...
New
s2k
Hi all, currently I wonder how the Tailwind colours work (or don’t work). For example, in app/views/layouts/application.html.erb I have...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
dachristenson
I just bought this book to learn about Android development, and I’m already running into a major issue in Ch. 1, p. 20: “Update activity...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: