mafinar

mafinar

My OCaml Journal

I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread.

This is probably the 5th or 6th time I am attempting to learn an ML, in the past I tried out Reason, OCaml, F# and discontinued for unknown reasons, I don’t remember having any roadblocks or complaints, perhaps laziness. There is no guarantee this will continue either.

I am keeping the documentation and Real World OCaml as primary source of education. The posts will be on a Day <n>: <Place an angry title here> format.

Most Liked

yawaramin

yawaramin

Author of Learn Type-Driven Development

Hi Mafinar, I would recommend my post to get started: Practical OCaml - DEV Community . It walks through setting up with a few common libraries.

I don’t actually include Jane Street’s Core/Base because I usually don’t reach for them. That’s one of the, in my opinion, issues with Real World OCaml: it very heavily relies on and presents Core as ‘the alternative standard library that everyone should use’ when in reality it’s a very heavyweight dependency that usually only large applications can justify. It’s also not ported to Windows (same with Jane Street’s Async, which is why I recommend Lwt for concurrency).

I think it’s a good idea to start with the libraries that are shipped with OCaml:

  • core library (note, not Jane Street Core), this lists the built-in types and exceptions of the language
  • standard library (Stdlib), this provides a lot of functionality, especially in recent OCaml versions. Especially important: List, String, Set, Map, Hashtbl, Printf. Also look into Sys (e.g. Sys.getenv) and Filename (file name operations, portable directory separator, etc.)
  • unix library (Unix system calls), the name is a slight misnomer as it also (mostly) works on Windows.

So that leaves the final note–instead of Real World OCaml, I would actually recommend Cornell’s Functional Programming in OCaml, which is based on their lecture notes for their course, with a long history of teaching OCaml (and doesn’t rely on any alternative standard libraries).

By the way, I am enjoying this thread a lot and will be happy to jump in as well if any questions :slight_smile:

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

I’m looking forward! ^.^

If you have questions about OCaml or so, don’t hesitate to ping me. ^.^

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Same. Looking forward! I have started and stopped several times during the last year. There’s always something missing.

Last time I was pretty close to daily productivity however. I learned esy, a builder for OCaml, and was able to also use the LSP (merlin) to check for errors in my Emacs, plus to auto-format code.

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

mafinar
Crystal recently reached version 1. I had been following it for awhile but never got to really learn it. Most languages I picked up out o...
New
mafinar
Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir is now content complete and I finally found the time I’ve been looking for to dedicate behind readin...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
rustkas
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
ohm
I would love to begin a book club with Mike Amundsen’s (@mamund) book Design and Build Great Web APIs. It seems that building new syste...
New
AstonJ
With Tailwind now the default CSS framework shipped with Phoenix we thought it would be nice to run this book club on the Elixir Forum. ...
New
AstonJ
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
alvinkatojr
https://fs.blog/mental-models/ I’ve been reading Farnham Street for a while, and this topic is the recommended starting point for new re...
New

Other popular topics Top

brentjanderson
Bought the Moonlander mechanical keyboard. Cherry Brown MX switches. Arms and wrists have been hurting enough that it’s time I did someth...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Do the test and post your score :nerd_face: :keyboard: If possible, please add info such as the keyboard you’re using, the layout (Qw...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
AstonJ
We’ve talked about his book briefly here but it is quickly becoming obsolete - so he’s decided to create a series of 7 podcasts, the firs...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New