mafinar

mafinar

Book club - Domain Modeling Made Functional

TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welcome because the topic alone is so interesting that I will get 4 times the fun if we chat about things here! F# or not, this is amazingly well-written and useful!

Here is the link (PragProg)

Hello! I’m back. This is something I’ve been trying to do for awhile now. Domain Modeling Made Functional is one of the best books I have read on the topic. I read it when it got out but I did not know F# nor had I any interested in it, so I just read the concepts and translated whatever I felt I earned into Elixir or Python, or JS depending on what I was in the mood for on that day.

During my (along with a friend’s) stunt of #100DaysOfCodeIn100Languages (started as a joke, got serious, now back a joke) I encountered F# on day/language 13, and I enjoyed solving the problem with it (I had C# earlier that had similar effect but not a saga-breaking one like F# had), I recalled I have a book on it so decided to give it another read.

I picked the book up two weeks ago while travelling to Alberta, and ended up spending 3 of the 4 hours on aeroplane reading it, thoroughly impressed and enlightened! I felt like it would be more effective if done at a much slower pace, on different reference project, and discussing with friends! So here I am, having my third (second one didn’t fail, I will continue it soon) book club in this group.

The routine’s regular, I read a chapter or two, and talk about what I learned and how it would influence how I reason about a unit of code that does something. If you join me, that’d help me more! Eitherways, I’ll treat it as a set of side-notes or scribble which would help me when I refactor a deserving monolith or give my next talk on DDD (It already helped in my 2018 PyCon Canada session).

I will reset and restart from chapter 1 here, starting right now!

Most Liked

Erica

Erica

Author of Swift Style

We’re excited to see these book clubs. Sending cheers from Prag!

mafinar

mafinar

As far as translation is concerned, maybe not 1:1 but a lot of ideas could be explained through Elixir in a more idiomatic way. This is what we shall figure out it seems :wink:

mafinar

mafinar

Ah I was searching for this thread. I ended up learning F# and loved it. So didn’t get to translate. Once I am done with the other book club on concurrent Elixir I’ll be back here treating it with Elixir.

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

mafinar
Crystal recently reached version 1. I had been following it for awhile but never got to really learn it. Most languages I picked up out o...
New
mafinar
Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir is now content complete and I finally found the time I’ve been looking for to dedicate behind readin...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
rustkas
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
Maartz
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar. But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
ohm
I would love to begin a book club with Mike Amundsen’s (@mamund) book Design and Build Great Web APIs. It seems that building new syste...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
AstonJ
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Learning Domain-Driven Design Building software is harder than ever. As a developer, you not only have to chase ever-changing technologic...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Explore the power of Ash Framework by modeling and building the domain for a real-world web application. Rebecca Le @sevenseacat and ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New