rgerardi

rgerardi

Author of Powerful Command-Line Applications in Go

Powerful Command-Line Applications in Go Book Club

Hello all.

Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go

In particular, we can use this topic as an entry point to share and discuss solutions to the book’s exercises. Thanks @adamwoolhether for the suggestion!

Most Liked

Fernando

Fernando

I am going through the book without knowing any go programming.

“Exercises
You can improve your understanding of the concepts discussed here by doing these exercises:

Add another command-line flag, -b, to count the number of bytes in addition to words and lines.

Then, update the count function to accept another parameter, countBytes. When this input parameter is set to true, the function should count bytes. (Hint: check all the methods available for the type bufio.Scanner in the Go documentation.[12])

Write tests to ensure the new feature works as intended.”

Excerpt From: Ricardo Gerardi. “Powerful Command-Line Applications in Go.”

Test:
cat main_test.go

package main

import (
	"bytes"
	"testing"
)

func TestCountWords(t *testing.T) {
	b := bytes.NewBufferString("word1 word2 word3 word4\n")
	exp := 4
	res := count(b, false, false)
	if res != exp {
		t.Errorf("Expected %d, got %d instead.\n", exp, res)
	}
}

func TestCountLines(t *testing.T) {
	b := bytes.NewBufferString("word1 word2 word3\nline2\nline3 word1")
	exp := 3
	res := count(b, true, false)
	if res != exp {
		t.Errorf("Expected %d, got %d instead.\n", exp, res)
	}
}

func TestCountBytes(t *testing.T) {
	b := bytes.NewBufferString("word1 word2 word3\n")
	exp := 18
	res := count(b, false, true)
	if res != exp {
		t.Errorf("Expected %d, got %d instead.\n", exp, res)
	}
}

cat main.go

package main

import (
	"bufio"
	"flag"
	"fmt"
	"io"
	"os"
)

func main() {
	lines := flag.Bool("l", false, "Count lines")
	bytes := flag.Bool("b", false, "Count bytes")
	flag.Parse()
	fmt.Println(count(os.Stdin, *lines, *bytes))

}

func count(r io.Reader, countLines bool, countBytes bool) int {

	scanner := bufio.NewScanner(r)
	if !countLines && !countBytes {
		scanner.Split(bufio.ScanWords)
	}
	if countBytes {
		scanner.Split(bufio.ScanBytes)
	}
	wc := 0

	for scanner.Scan() {
		wc++
	}
	return wc
}
rgerardi

rgerardi

Author of Powerful Command-Line Applications in Go

Looks good to me @Fernando , great work there. There are other ways to solve this exercise and, if you’re just starting with Go, you’ll see them as you read through the book.

adamwoolhether

adamwoolhether

Hi @rgerardi, thanks again for setting this up.

I’ll pop in and help reply to questions for exercises I’ve solved. I can get most of them, but am at a loss with #2 & #3 for Chapter 2.

I’m assuming that solving these requires implement the Formatter interface, and calling it in main with fmt.Printf?

Or do I write another custom method to call in the case that my verbose or incomplete flag bools are selected?

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

mafinar
Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir is now content complete and I finally found the time I’ve been looking for to dedicate behind readin...
New
RobertKielty
My overall initial first impressions of this book are very good. I will document my local spacemacs setup to as I work through the book.
New
Maartz
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar. But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
mafinar
TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welco...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
ggarnier
In Aborting Multiple Fetch Requests with One Signal section, the code in abort/abort_ex09.js doesn’t show the downloaded images until Pro...
New
AstonJ
With Tailwind now the default CSS framework shipped with Phoenix we thought it would be nice to run this book club on the Elixir Forum. ...
New
AstonJ
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
TomMahon
How did a sleepy valley become the epicenter of the technological world as we know it? In the 40th Anniversary Edition of my book, “Charg...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build highly interactive applications without ever leaving Elixir, the way the experts do. Let LiveView take care of performance, scalabi...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
NewsBot
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released. Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
PragmaticBookshelf
As digital systems increasingly run the world, mastery of the recurring patterns of software development risk is the key to fast and effe...
New