ggarnier
Modern Asynchronous JavaScript: displaying images as they're loaded (page 50)
In Aborting Multiple Fetch Requests with One Signal section, the code in abort/abort_ex09.js doesn’t show the downloaded images until Promise.all fulfills, which means you need to wait for all the image downloads before seeing them. Also, if you cancel after some downloads have finished, you won’t see those images.
I suggest a small change to make it display the images as the corresponding promise fulfills:
33c33,38
< const tasks = urls.map(url => fetch(url, {signal: controller.signal}));
---
> const tasks = urls.map(url => fetch(url, {signal: controller.signal}).then(async (r) => {
> const img = document.createElement('img');
> const blob = await r.blob();
> img.src = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
> gallery.appendChild(img);
> }));
36,43c41,43
< const response = await Promise.all(tasks);
< response.forEach(async (r) => {
< const img = document.createElement('img');
< const blob = await r.blob();
< img.src = URL.createObjectURL(blob);
< gallery.appendChild(img);
< });
< result.textContent = '';
---
> Promise.all(tasks).then(() => {
> result.textContent = '';
> });
Marked As Solved
Faraz
Author of Modern Asynchronous JavaScript
Oh, my bad!
Thanks for clarifying that. We’re updating the code in the next version of the book.
Popular Community topics
As one of my New Year resolutions is to read more tech I’ve decided on an attempt to document my travels in Mannings Modern Java in Actio...
New
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar.
But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welco...
New
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along!
Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP.
Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
Learning Domain-Driven Design
Building software is harder than ever. As a developer, you not only have to chase ever-changing technologic...
New
Other popular topics
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
Author Spotlight:
Bruce Tate
@redrapids
Programming languages always emerge out of need, and if that’s not always true, they’re defin...
New
Jan | Rethink the Computer.
Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New
Hello,
I’m a beginner in Android development and I’m facing an issue with my project setup. In my build.gradle.kts file, I have the foll...
New
Node.js v22.14.0 has been released.
Link: Release 2025-02-11, Version 22.14.0 'Jod' (LTS), @aduh95 · nodejs/node · GitHub
New
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /sublime-text
- /textmate
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /ubuntu
- /spring
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /diversity
- /lua
- /markdown









