TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Journal : Designing Elixir systems with OTP

This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP.

Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one TT! Another book I am interested in reading at some point! :003:

TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Chapter 01

Concepts / RE-Thinks:

DFTwBLWB : Do Fun things with Big Loud Worker Bees - acronym to think about layering application.

DFT = for building blocks of project

BLWB = for letting components work together.

Why layers?

  1. Testing each component with SIMILAR functions together (because they are grouped together! )
  2. Healing - supervisors
    1. the concept is (called lifecycle) as simple as turn-off the TV and restart to fix it!
    2. So, shut down CLEANLY (note,emphasis)!

Managing state :

  1. recursion and message passing to manage state.
    • This is new! = message passing is usually an advanced concept and not ‘generally’ used to manage state, unless - Elixir or MVC model.
TwistingTwists

TwistingTwists

Chapter 02 : Know Your Elixir Datatypes

Types and pro-cons

DataType Properties Pro Cons
Atoms are integer + constant + NOT garbage collected use = name concepts + constant tables type lookup NOT convert user-input to atom
Arrays = NOT in Elixir! - random access is cheap + traversing O(n) +
Lists NOT arrays! + singly linked-lists + pattern matching on head is O(1) Appending at END of lists or LARGE lists
Maps random access O(log n) => useful for heavily edited data use MapSet when only Keys (uniqueness)
Strings are binaries => efficiently stored + copy is a FULL copy (unlike lists) DO NOT LET processes hold references to long string => may cause memory leaks + NOT use long strings for storing info + DONT concatenate
Tuples fixed length data structure use for tagging data + read chunks of data like csv slow append => don’t edit (if need to, use Maps)
Functions send function to data, NOT data to function
PATTERN matching allows multiple dimension inheritance (sort of) => better than inheritance!!

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
mafinar
Crystal recently reached version 1. I had been following it for awhile but never got to really learn it. Most languages I picked up out o...
New
RobertKielty
My overall initial first impressions of this book are very good. I will document my local spacemacs setup to as I work through the book.
New
Maartz
The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar. But I wanted to know what was thi...
New
mafinar
TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welco...
New
RomanTurner
Agile Web Development with Rails 6 Chapter 11. Task F Currently reading and working through AWDR6 by Sam Ruby, David Bryant Copeland, a...
New
AstonJ
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New
TomMahon
How did a sleepy valley become the epicenter of the technological world as we know it? In the 40th Anniversary Edition of my book, “Charg...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Learning Domain-Driven Design Building software is harder than ever. As a developer, you not only have to chase ever-changing technologic...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn different ways of writing concurrent code in Elixir and increase your application's performance, without sacrificing scalability or...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Programming Ruby is the most complete book on Ruby, covering both the language itself and the standard library as well as commonly used t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
If you’re getting errors like this: psql: error: connection to server on socket “/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432” failed: No such file or directory ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New