Tommy

Tommy

I gave up my job as a house painter to become an app developer - this is my journey!

So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though!

I have bean playing with programming for 20 years or so and have never mastered any language. The difficultly has bean learning how to learn. Reading and taking notes doesn’t work. It doesn’t go in.

I’m excited to have discovered space repetition with flash cards. At last a system of learning that works! I have found that, for it to work I have to make it, make me get my hands dirty and to get stuck in. For example:

What does this do: %{numbers | one: “one”}

isn’t as powerful as :

Update the map numbers (below) so the element with key :one is “one”
numbers = %{one: 1, two: 2, three: 3}

I just want to briefly enplane how my brain seams different to others. Most of us have peripheral and a point of focus and with all the senses too. Imagine have to do all your studying and coding with just your peripheral! I think that’s how it is for me. There is a focus but it’s week. Add to this, I have very little working memory. I think I have a good CPU buy my ram is crap! It feels like a double layer of fuckedness: the week focus prevent information going in and once it’s in there almost no working memory to do anything with it!

It’s frustrating as I think i’m intelligent in other ways. My mind seems to be 3D and concurrent and I can look at things from may different angles at different points in space and time.

My next post will be about what I’m learning at the moment and my daily routine.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Sounds like you’re about to embark on an incredible journey Tommy!

I am a self taught programmer too and it is such a nice feeling of accomplishment when you finally get that first project out.

Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing your updates in your journal :+1:

AstonJ

AstonJ

100% - there always seems to be something to learn or to brush up on… but maybe that’s not a bad thing as it keeps you mentally active (though it can be frustrating too!).

I highly recommend @chrispine’s book-learn-to-program-third-edition (it’s mentioned in the link I posted above too) - here’s what I said about it in another post. I often recommend that book to people and say you’ll know if you want to be a programmer after reading it! It’s such a motivational book and Chris says all the right things at the right times :+1:

With regards to your ADHD, you might find some of the threads in the Health & Diet section interesting :smiley: (the book I mention in this post may also be of interest to you).

PS, I edited the title of this thread for you to make it a little shorter… hope that’s ok! :blush:

Tommy

Tommy

Thanks you. I like the style of your site. Do you ever feels there is too much to learn and to keep on top of?

I’m loving learning at the moment. Today has been a good day where things have clicked in place. I tend to permanentize how I’m doing. What I mean is, if i’m having a good coding session I thinks, “this is great look at me go, I’m going to be creating lots of cool stuff soon” but if I’m not picking anything up my inner voices is, “What’s the point I can’t get this. I may as well give up”.

I’m still not certain my brain is wired to become a good coder. Time will tell.

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
mafinar
TL;DR I am reading “Domain Modeling Made Functional” and discussing and keeping a journal of what I learned from it, any co-readers welco...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
ohm
I would love to begin a book club with Mike Amundsen’s (@mamund) book Design and Build Great Web APIs. It seems that building new syste...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
RomanTurner
Agile Web Development with Rails 6 Chapter 11. Task F Currently reading and working through AWDR6 by Sam Ruby, David Bryant Copeland, a...
New
rgerardi
Hello all. Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go In particular, we ca...
New
AstonJ
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
When the pandemic, heart disease, and personal tragedy threatened to steal everything the Tates spent years building, they found hope, he...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
AstonJ
This is cool! DEEPSEEK-V3 ON M4 MAC: BLAZING FAST INFERENCE ON APPLE SILICON We just witnessed something incredible: the largest open-s...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A concise guide to MySQL 9 database administration, covering fundamental concepts, techniques, and best practices. Neil Smyth MySQL...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background Lately I am in a quest to find a good quality TTS ai generation tool to run locally in order to create audio for some videos I...
New
xiji2646-netizen
Woke up to this today: Claude Code’s complete source code exposed via npm source map. Not a snippet. All 512,000 lines. 1,900 TypeScript ...
New