RobertKielty

RobertKielty

Journal: Intuitive Python - The spacemacs setup

My overall initial first impressions of this book are very good.

I will document my local spacemacs setup to as I work through the book.

Most Liked

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one Robert - I’ll look forward to seeing how you get on :+1:

RobertKielty

RobertKielty

Spacemacs notes wrt Python dev

From the develop branch of spacemacs we have the Python Layer.

A layer in Spacemacss configuration block that pulls in a set of emacs packages and allows you to configure those packages.

The Python layer brings in a lot of features many of which intersect with the tooling described in the book.

backend

I have set the backend to lsp as I have that already installed, but the layer by default uses anaconda and I wonder if that is because it is tested better there.

Well yes there is a note that lsp is slated to be replaced with a new language server for python called pyright. So I’ll try that to see if it “reduces cpu cooler fan noise”

Installed it using

npm install -g pyright

SPC h d python python backend
TAB to config.el and edit python-lsp-server there using instructions in the var descriptions

Static code checkers

Spoiled for choice, notes for each

In spacemacs SPC e is the chord that brings up options for flycheck mode which presents errors reported by static code checkers.

Ideally I would like to run all the checks all the time - i.e. I would like to chain static code checkers

SPC e s allows you to select a static checker
entering python filters the available checkers

To see the errors found as a list SPC e l

flake8

I installed this on the local machine as per Python layer

I set the checker using SPC e s then selecting python-flake8

mypy

TODO Chain mypy on to list of flycheck / lsp static code checkers

Need to move on to other tasks will revisit this …

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
mafinar
Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir is now content complete and I finally found the time I’ve been looking for to dedicate behind readin...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
ggarnier
In Aborting Multiple Fetch Requests with One Signal section, the code in abort/abort_ex09.js doesn’t show the downloaded images until Pro...
New
rgerardi
Hello all. Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go In particular, we ca...
New
AstonJ
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Learning Domain-Driven Design Building software is harder than ever. As a developer, you not only have to chase ever-changing technologic...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
If it’s a mechanical keyboard, which switches do you have? Would you recommend it? Why? What will your next keyboard be? Pics always w...
New
dasdom
No chair. I have a standing desk. This post was split into a dedicated thread from our thread about chairs :slight_smile:
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
Maartz
Hi folks, I don’t know if I saw this here but, here’s a new programming language, called Roc Reminds me a bit of Elm and thus Haskell. ...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
First poster: AstonJ
Jan | Rethink the Computer. Jan turns your computer into an AI machine by running LLMs locally on your computer. It’s a privacy-focus, l...
New