rustkas

rustkas

Journal: Property-Based Testing with PropEr, Erlang, and Elixir

To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and ideas. Here’s what I’ve already made.

Most Liked

rustkas

rustkas

Exercise 2

I add output and then run it to see it execute.
There is peace of my code with output:

increments([Head | Tail]) -> increments(Head, Tail).

increments(_, []) ->
    io:format("~n"),
    true;
increments(N, [Head | Tail]) when Head == N + 1 ->
    io:format("~p", [Head]),
    if length(Tail) > 0 -> io:format(", ");
       true -> io:format("|")
    end,
    increments(Head, Tail);
increments(_, _) -> false.
rustkas

rustkas

Erlang
(page 88)
code/CustomGenerators/erlang/pbt/test/prop_generators.erl

I would like to share inner step calculation while gathering values (by groups of 10). I was confused a litter how is the calculation going.

I have inserted an expression to print the parameters.

prop_collect2() ->
    ?FORALL(Bin, (binary()),
            (collect(to_range(10, byte_size(Bin)),
                     is_binary(Bin)))).

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%% Helpers %%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
to_range(M, N) ->
    Base = N div M,
    io:format("~2B = ~2B div ~B | {~2B, ~B} = {~2B * ~B, (~B + 1)*~B~n",
              [Base, N, M, Base * M, (Base + 1) * M, Base, M, Base, M]),
    {Base * M, (Base + 1) * M}.

Command:
rebar3 proper​ -p prop_collect2

Output (with the intermediate calculations):

 0 =   0 div 10 | { 0, 10} = { 0 * 10, (0 + 1)*10
. 0 =  1 div 10 | { 0, 10} = { 0 * 10, (0 + 1)*10
. 0 =  0 div 10 | { 0, 10} = { 0 * 10, (0 + 1)*10
. 0 =  0 div 10 | { 0, 10} = { 0 * 10, (0 + 1)*10
...
. 3 = 38 div 10 | {30, 40} = { 3 * 10, (3 + 1)*10
. 3 = 33 div 10 | {30, 40} = { 3 * 10, (3 + 1)*10
. 1 = 15 div 10 | {10, 20} = { 1 * 10, (1 + 1)*10
. 2 = 22 div 10 | {20, 30} = { 2 * 10, (2 + 1)*10

OK: Passed 100 test(s).

56.00% {0,10}
28.00% {10,20}
 9.00% {20,30}
 7.00% {30,40}
===>
1/1 properties passed
rustkas

rustkas

Erlang
(page 89)
code/CustomGenerators/erlang/pbt/test/prop_generators.erl

While running property based test prop_dupes you will get the same logging info.

prop_dupes() ->
 ?FORALL(KV, list({key(), val()}),
        begin
     M = maps:from_list(KV),
     _ = [maps:get(K, M) || {K, _V} <- KV], % crash if K's not in map
     collect(
       {dupes, to_range(5, length(KV) - length(lists:ukeysort(1,KV)))},
       true
     )
  end).


%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%%% Helpers %%%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
key() -> integer().
val() -> term().

to_range(M, N) ->
    Base = N div M,
    io:format("~2B = ~2B div ~B | {~2B, ~2B} = {~2B * ~B, (~B + 1)*~B~n",
              [Base, N, M, Base * M, (Base + 1) * M, Base, M, Base, M]),
    {Base * M, (Base + 1) * M}.

Full code project

maps:from_list/1
maps:get/2
lists:ukeysort/2
length/1

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
mafinar
Concurrent Data Processing in Elixir is now content complete and I finally found the time I’ve been looking for to dedicate behind readin...
New
rustkas
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
rgerardi
Hello all. Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go In particular, we ca...
New
AstonJ
With Tailwind now the default CSS framework shipped with Phoenix we thought it would be nice to run this book club on the Elixir Forum. ...
New
AstonJ
With AI set to play a big role in our industry Elixir users are lucky to have Nx, so we’re running our Nx related book club on Genetic Al...
New
AstonJ
With Phoenix and LiveView having recently had a fairly major release, and Programming Phoenix LiveView being updated too, we thought it w...
New
TomMahon
How did a sleepy valley become the epicenter of the technological world as we know it? In the 40th Anniversary Edition of my book, “Charg...
New
Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Learning Domain-Driven Design Building software is harder than ever. As a developer, you not only have to chase ever-changing technologic...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
I ended up cancelling my Moonlander order as I think it’s just going to be a bit too bulky for me. I think the Planck and the Preonic (o...
New
Exadra37
I am asking for any distro that only has the bare-bones to be able to get a shell in the server and then just install the packages as we ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Quickly turn complex problems into simple, working solutions using functional programming, safe concurrency, and the expressive tools of ...
New