jskubick

jskubick

Kotlin and Android Development featuring Jetpack: SQLite database not removed by uninstallation of PennyDrop

This isn’t errata per se, but I discovered something unexpected while working through Chapter 5. I’m not sure whether I just misunderstood how SQLite works, or whether it’s a bug in Arctic Fox (Android Studio 2020.3.1 patch 2), the x86 Emulator, or the Android 11 ROM it’s running, but it appears that uninstalling PennyDrop does NOT blow away the underlying SQLite database.

How to replicate:

  1. Build and run PennyDrop in the emulator using the chapter 5 code from the .zip file

  2. Play a game or two, giving the player a distinctive name you’ll recognize later.

  3. Kill PennyDrop in the emulator by clicking the red ‘stop’ icon in Android Studio.

  4. In the Emulator, go to Settings → Apps, find PennyDrop, and uninstall it.

  5. Go back to Android Studio, and re-launch PennyDrop by clicking the green ‘play’ icon. It’ll re-deploy and start.

  6. Attempt to start a new game, and observe it crash with a SQLiteConstraintException (UNIQUE constraint failed on primary key)

It’s been a few years since I’ve used “raw” SQLite, so I don’t remember offhand whether it defaults to putting your database files in the app’s private data dir, or whether the app is expected to tell it where to put them (and the private data dir is simply an obvious & sensible place)… but it looks like Jetpack Room does NOT put its SQLite data files there, and instead puts them somewhere else that doesn’t automatically get blown away when the app gets uninstalled.

Of course, it’s also possible that Google built a custom ROM for the emulator that intentionally leaves the data dir of uninstalled apps behind for forensics purposes, or that it’s actually a developer setting somewhere that I’ve just overlooked for years. It might also be an outright bug in Arctic Fox, or Room 2.3.0, or all the above and more.

Either way, the only solution I’ve found is to modify PennyDropDatabase.kt as follows:

  1. Increase the ‘version’ number in the @Database annotation:
    @Database(
        entities = [Game::class, Player::class, GameStatus::class],
->      version = 2,
        exportSchema = false
    )
  1. Add a call to fallbackToDestructiveMigration() to the builder:
    val instance = Room.databaseBuilder(
        context,
        PennyDropDatabase::class.java,
        "PennyDropDatabase" )
->      .fallbackToDestructiveMigration()
        .addCallback(object : RoomDatabase.Callback() {
        override fun onCreate(db : SupportSQLiteDatabase) {
        // ...

As I understand it, the call to fallbackToDestructiveMigration() basically tells it, “if the database version changes, blow away the old one and rebuild it from scratch according to the new specs without attempting to migrate anything”.

Given everything I’ve always thought I’ve known about the implied behavior of Android apps when uninstalled, the persistence of Room-created SQLite databases after the creator’s uninstallation is pretty shocking, and almost has to be a bug in Room unless it’s just the side effect of a developer option I overlooked. Otherwise, this would leave the door open to a SERIOUS (flash) memory leak for an Android device… a misbehaving app could create a multi-gigabyte Room database that would persist even after the app that created it were uninstalled, and would (AFAIK) be impossible to remove by hand unless the device were rooted.

Update:

According to this post at StackOverflow (android - Remove room database on app uninstall - Stack Overflow), the android:allowBackup=“true” in AndroidManifest.xml might be the root of the problem. Apparently, SQLite databases are one of the things that automatically get backed up.

From what I’ve read so far, once the backup gets made, deleting it is “a pain”, because the backups are almost viral. Merely changing allowBackups to false will prevent future backups, but won’t prevent the existing backup from getting auto-restored in perpetuity upon reinstallation. It looks like the only official way to purge the backup once it has been created is to make the app uninstallation-aware, and add code to the DAO class to explicitly drop the tables as part of the uninstallation process.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jon
Some minor things in the paper edition that says “3 2020” on the title page verso, not mentioned in the book’s errata online: p. 186 But...
New
simonpeter
When I try the command to create a pair of migration files I get an error. user=> (create-migration "guestbook") Execution error (Ill...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
rmurray10127
Title: Intuitive Python: docker run… denied error (page 2) Attempted to run the docker command in both CLI and Powershell PS C:\Users\r...
New
Chrichton
Dear Sophie. I tried to do the “Authorization” exercise and have two questions: When trying to plug in an email-service, I found the ...
New
brunogirin
When trying to run tox in parallel as explained on page 151, I got the following error: tox: error: argument -p/–parallel: expected one...
New
hazardco
On page 78 the following code appears: <%= link_to ‘Destroy’, product, class: ‘hover:underline’, method: :delete, data: { confirm...
New
kolossal
Hi, I need some help, I’m new to rust and was learning through your book. but I got stuck at the last stage of distribution. Whenever I t...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New
andreheijstek
After running /bin/setup, the first error was: The foreman' command exists in these Ruby versions: That was easy to fix: gem install fore...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
Exadra37
Please tell us what is your preferred monitor setup for programming(not gaming) and why you have chosen it. Does your monitor have eye p...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Tailwind CSS is an exciting new CSS framework that allows you to design your site by composing simple utility classes to create complex e...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Rebecca Skinner @RebeccaSkinner Welcome to our latest author spotlight, where we sit down with Rebecca Skinner, auth...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New

Sub Categories: