harwind

harwind

JavaScript Array of Objects Sorting: How to Sort by a Specific Object Property

I have an array of objects in JavaScript, and I want to sort them based on a specific property of the objects. For example, I have an array of books, and each book object has properties like ‘title’, ‘author’, and ‘publicationYear’. How can I sort this array of book objects alphabetically by the ‘title’ property?

Here’s a simplified version of the array:

const books = [
    { title: 'The Great Gatsby', author: 'F. Scott Fitzgerald', publicationYear: 1925 },
    { title: 'To Kill a Mockingbird', author: 'Harper Lee', publicationYear: 1960 },
    { title: '1984', author: 'George Orwell', publicationYear: 1949 }
];

This array should be sorted ascendingly using the ‘title’ parameter. I attempted to discover the answer by going to several sites like Scaler, but I was unable to locate the solution. Could you supply a JavaScript code sample that explains how to do this sorting and explains any key ideas or functions utilized in the code? I appreciate your help.

/js

Most Liked

gulshan212

gulshan212

Well, here is a simple example of sorting.

const books = [
    { title: 'The Great Gatsby', author: 'F. Scott Fitzgerald', publicationYear: 1925 },
    { title: 'To Kill a Mockingbird', author: 'Harper Lee', publicationYear: 1960 },
    { title: '1984', author: 'George Orwell', publicationYear: 1949 }
];

// Sort the books array based on the 'title' property
books.sort((a, b) => {
    const titleA = a.title.toLowerCase(); // Convert titles to lowercase for case-insensitive sorting
    const titleB = b.title.toLowerCase();

    if (titleA < titleB) {
        return -1; // 'a' should come before 'b'
    } else if (titleA > titleB) {
        return 1; // 'b' should come before 'a'
    } else {
        return 0; // Titles are equal, no change in order
    }
});

// Now, the books array is sorted alphabetically by title
console.log(books);

Thanks

kokolegorille

kokolegorille

A one liner…

books.sort((a, b) => a.title.toLowerCase() < b.title.toLowerCase() ? -1 : 1)

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
New
AstonJ
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
harwind
I’m working on a web application where users can sign up with their email addresses. To ensure data integrity, I want to implement client...
/js
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
johnnaa
Hey everyone, I’ve been looking for the best standing desk lately because I’m tired of sitting all day working from home. i read reviews...
New
conwy
Caveat: Apologies in advance – I guess this topic has probably been done to death. But if it’s Ok to ask, I just want to try again and se...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New
ninav50388
Hey everyone, I’ve been a long-time reader of these forums and always appreciate the technical depth here. Lately, I’ve been hitting a bi...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Stop developing web apps with yesterday’s tools. Today, developers are increasingly adopting Clojure as a web-development platform. See f...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Free and open source software is the default choice for the technologies that run our world, and it’s built and maintained by people like...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New