harwind

harwind

SQL Query Challenge: Finding the Latest Records

I’m working on a SQL query for a database containing records of customer transactions. Each transaction has a transaction_id, customer_id, transaction_date, and amount. I need to find the latest transaction for each customer.

Here’s a simplified version of the table:

CREATE TABLE transactions (
    transaction_id INT PRIMARY KEY,
    customer_id INT,
    transaction_date DATE,
    amount DECIMAL(10, 2)
);

INSERT INTO transactions VALUES
    (1, 101, '2023-01-15', 50.00),
    (2, 102, '2023-02-10', 30.00),
    (3, 101, '2023-02-25', 75.00),
    (4, 103, '2023-03-05', 40.00),
    (5, 102, '2023-03-12', 55.00);

I want to write an SQL query that retrieves the latest transaction for each customer. In this example, the expected result would include transactions with transaction_id 3 and 4 because they are the latest for customers 101 and 103, respectively.

Could you provide a SQL query to achieve this? Additionally, it would be helpful if you could explain the logic behind the query and any SQL functions or techniques used. Thank you for your assistance!

First Post!

mercyf

mercyf

Maybe try asking ChatGPT. It will probably give a good answer for this.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
Jase
Do they publish their stacks or is it mostly a case of guesswork? Twitter facebook instagram snapchat tiktok google et all. Used to be we...
New
Kurisu
You can go directly to the last paragraph of this post to read about my concern. I was trying Git submodules then found the above po...
New
DevotionGeo
The version of Java installed with Android Studio on my Mac is the following (when I run java -version) openjdk version "1.8.0_242-relea...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
harwind
I’m working on a web application where users can sign up with their email addresses. To ensure data integrity, I want to implement client...
/js
New
harwind
Given an array of integers, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence. A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from a...
New
harwind
Hi, Take a riveting look at exception handling in Java programming, including the complicated dance between try-catch blocks, checked an...
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
conwy
Caveat: Apologies in advance – I guess this topic has probably been done to death. But if it’s Ok to ask, I just want to try again and se...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Brace yourself for a fun challenge: build a photorealistic 3D renderer from scratch! In just a couple of weeks, build a ray tracer that r...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rails 7 completely redefines what it means to produce fantastic user experiences and provides a way to achieve all the benefits of single...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
CommunityNews
Open-source implementation of the classic GTA engine now running directly in your browser. Experience the reVC technology demo on DOS.Zon...
New