harwind
Python concerns with the For Loop and While Loop
Hi, I’m now investigating the complexities of Python loops, specifically the contrast between for and while loops. However, I’ve had some difficulty understanding their distinctions and implementing them optimally. Here are some bits of code that demonstrate my areas of confusion.
Snippet 1:
# Using a for loop to iterate over a string
word = "Python"
for letter in word:
print(letter)
Snippet 2:
# Using a while loop to iterate over a string
word = "Python"
length = len(word)
i = 0
while i < length:
print(word[i])
i += 1
Here are the specific topics I need explanation on:
- While Snippet 1 (using a for loop) displays each letter of the word “Python” consecutively, Snippet 2 (using a while loop) produces the same output but does not include the last character ‘n’. What is causing this disparity, and how can I change the while loop to incorporate the last character?
- While considering the readability and simplicity of both loops, I’m not sure which strategy is best for iterating over strings in Python. Are there any rules or best practices for deciding between for and while loops when working with strings?
- In terms of efficiency, as demonstrated in this documentation, I’m interested about the overhead of using len() in the while loop to ascertain string length. What effect does this have on the loop’s efficiency when compared to the for loop’s implicit iteration?
- Finally, I’d like to understand the circumstances in which each loop type excels in Python programming. Can you give instances or insights into circumstances when for loops or while loops are very useful for certain tasks?
Your experience and instruction would be extremely helpful in navigating these complexities and improving my skill with Python loop constructions. Thank you for your help.
Popular General Dev topics
Do they publish their stacks or is it mostly a case of guesswork? Twitter facebook instagram snapchat tiktok google et all. Used to be we...
New
I am building a Tasks Todo app to help me to organize my professional and personal life, while at same time I learn Elixir, and this week...
New
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
Trying to understand recursion in Elixir. Sometimes it is simple based on the problem, sometimes it is hard. Any suggestions on how to le...
New
Consider the following bits of code:
void foo(const int i) // First foo
{
std::cout << "First " << i << endl;
}
vo...
New
I have an array of strings in JavaScript, and I need to convert it into a single string with specific delimiter characters between the el...
New
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation.
If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
Hello,
I am new to this forum. Not really sure if this topic is relevant for this chat at all. I apologize if its not.
I am trying to c...
New
Hello everyone! I am not a developer, just wanna know if it’s possible for someone with no skills to learn how to reverse hack my hackers.
New
I’ve been researching monitor arms for the past few days because I want to improve my desk setup and make better use of my workspace. Aft...
New
Other popular topics
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
Andy and Dave wrote this influential, classic book to help their clients create better software and rediscover the joy of coding. Almost ...
New
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting:
asdf install erlang 23.1.2
Configure failed.
checking ...
New
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
If you want a quick and easy way to block any website on your Mac using Little Snitch simply…
File > New Rule:
And select Deny, O...
New
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig.
General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
- All
- In The News (11384)
- Dev Chat (208)
- Questions
- Resources (122)
- Blogs/Talks (29)
- Jobs (3)
- Events (15)
- Code Editors (59)
- Hardware (60)
- Reviews (5)
- Sales (16)
- Design & UX (5)
- Marketing & SEO (2)
- Industry & Culture (14)
- Ethics & Privacy (19)
- Business (4)
- Learning Methods (7)
- Content Creators (7)
- DevOps & Hosting (14)
Popular Portals
- /elixir
- /rust
- /wasm
- /ruby
- /erlang
- /phoenix
- /keyboards
- /python
- /js
- /rails
- /security
- /go
- /swift
- /vim
- /java
- /clojure
- /typescript
- /emacs
- /haskell
- /svelte
- /onivim
- /kotlin
- /react
- /c-plus-plus
- /crystal
- /tailwind
- /gleam
- /ocaml
- /elm
- /vscode
- /flutter
- /html
- /ash
- /deepseek
- /zig
- /opensuse
- /centos
- /php
- /react-native
- /scala
- /lisp
- /textmate
- /sublime-text
- /nixos
- /debian
- /agda
- /deno
- /django
- /kubuntu
- /arch-linux
- /nodejs
- /spring
- /ubuntu
- /revery
- /manjaro
- /julia
- /quarkus
- /lua
- /diversity
- /markdown









