AstonJ

AstonJ

Circumventing encrypted messages

This article got me thinking about encrypted chat:

Europol said that French police had discovered some of EncroChat’s servers were located in the country, and that it was possible to put a “technical device” in place to access the messages.

Wonder what this ‘technical device’ was/did - any ideas?

Most Liked

cmkarlsson

cmkarlsson

They put a “technical device” on some servers to be able to access the messages. Assuming it really was end-to-end encryption they must either have had access to the keys (through a cracked device?) so that they could decrypt the messages or the crypto implementation had some sort of weakness they could exploit such as being open to padding oracle or timing attacks or mitm attacks.

Unfortunately I doubt they will release any details about how they cracked it. It would be interesting to know for sure.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

Never heard of EncroChat, so let’s see what google says…

Hmm, so it claimed E2E however it was never audited and they didn’t use one of the well known good E2E styles, in addition they sold phones without secure enclave chips nor was any of that audited as well, so yeah I don’t see how it is trustworthy for such communications.

There’s so many ways that such systems can be weakened so it’s not surprising.

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

That passed through my mind, lol.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Do they publish their stacks or is it mostly a case of guesswork? Twitter facebook instagram snapchat tiktok google et all. Used to be we...
New
AstonJ
This article got me thinking about encrypted chat: Europol said that French police had discovered some of EncroChat’s servers were lo...
New
AstonJ
I really like our #general-developer-forum:in-the-news section and am wondering whether we could automate some of the cross-posting of th...
New
brennan
Trying to understand recursion in Elixir. Sometimes it is simple based on the problem, sometimes it is hard. Any suggestions on how to le...
New
sona11
How can I apply a modified date and time to a variable? This is what I get when I execute the following query in SQL Server Mgmt Studio: ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
harwind
I have an array of objects in JavaScript, and I want to sort them based on a specific property of the objects. For example, I have an arr...
/js
New
harwind
Given an array of integers, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence. A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from a...
New
harwind
I am working on a Python script, and you encounter an error related to the misuse of lists and tuples. Here’s a simplified version of you...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Write Elixir tests that you can be proud of. Dive into Elixir’s test philosophy and gain mastery over the terminology and concepts that u...
New
AstonJ
There’s a whole world of custom keycaps out there that I didn’t know existed! Check out all of our Keycaps threads here: https://forum....
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
AstonJ
Just done a fresh install of macOS Big Sur and on installing Erlang I am getting: asdf install erlang 23.1.2 Configure failed. checking ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use WebRTC to build web applications that stream media and data in real time directly from one user to another, all in the browser. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New