Kurisu

Kurisu

Using Git to share efficiently libraries between projects

You can go directly to the last paragraph of this post to read about my concern.


I was trying Git submodules then found the above post on Bitbucket, and it fits better my use case. The issue I had with git submodules is that my co-worker could not just pull a parent repository and just work on it without pulling explicitly the submodules also. With subtrees this complexity is gone. I can edit a shared library in any of the projects that are using it and push the commit to its remote repository. Then later in any other project that is using it I can make a pull request to have the library up-to-date. And my co-worker absolutely does not need to be aware of it for it to work.

But now I’m facing a situation that is a bit confusing, at least for me. I have a private repository for a library auth that is basically a set of helpers for authentication. I use it as a git subtree in multiple Elixir /Phoenix projects. So in my last project I have to deal multi-lingual content and I prefer that each application in the project handle the internationalization through its own Gettext backend. Then in my auth library I generate content in multiple languages for that project. But other projects that use this same library don’t necessary need those translations files.

So I’m wondering how to use .gitgnore files so that a parent git repository keep trace of a folder it generated inside a subtree repository, while the subtree repository should ignore that folder when pushing to its own remote repository. The folder in my case is the one that contains the Gettext translations. I can ignore the folder in the subtree repository, but is not it meaning that the main project repository will also follow that rule?

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

That’s exactly my point – now that I reread my post, it’s not clear, sorry. I meant put it on GitHub and don’t put on hex.pm indeed.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I’d rather not discuss Git submodules because I heard from several people that they are bad news. I haven’t used them so can’t comment.

In your case you might want to do two things:

  1. Self-host a private Hex repository.
  2. Put your common code there as a library.

I gathered from your post that you don’t want that common code to be public so this likely the solution you are looking for?

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

You are very wrongfully assuming that anyone even cares. :laughing:

Just do it, man. Make a common library, put it up publicly with a short note on what it does and how – don’t need to be detailed. Nobody guarantees any future readers they’ll find anything of use. The amount of abandoned projects out there is gigantic. Just don’t think about it and do it how it’s easiest on you. If that means a public repo, so be it.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Any opinions on the best platform for dev-friendly blogging?
New
dimitarvp
What does a developer advocate do for a living? I mean, what is it that you are paid to do? I’ve seen your description below but it doesn...
New
AstonJ
Stopwords are words that you normally filter for things like search queries, such as ‘as’, ‘because’ etc - there are a few online, but I ...
New
brennan
Trying to understand recursion in Elixir. Sometimes it is simple based on the problem, sometimes it is hard. Any suggestions on how to le...
New
thetoaderseventytwo
I’ve been trying to dip my feet into using Unity and C# for the sake of developing games, however, I have barely any knowledge of how to ...
New
jaeyson
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation. If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
harwind
Given an array of integers, find the length of the longest increasing subsequence. A subsequence is a sequence that can be derived from a...
New
GTX
Hello everyone! I am not a developer, just wanna know if it’s possible for someone with no skills to learn how to reverse hack my hackers.
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
johnnaa
Hey everyone, I’ve been looking for the best standing desk lately because I’m tired of sitting all day working from home. i read reviews...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Instantly view the changes you make to an app with stateful hot reload, and define a declarative UI in the same language as the app logic...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
AstonJ
In case anyone else is wondering why Ruby 3 doesn’t show when you do asdf list-all ruby :man_facepalming: do this first: asdf plugin-upd...
New
Exadra37
Oh just spent so much time on this to discover now that RancherOS is in end of life but Rancher is refusing to mark the Github repo as su...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New