harwind

harwind

Choosing Programming Languages in 2023: Balancing Trends and Practicality

I’m considering learning new languages to expand my programming skills in 2023. While aware of popular choices, I seek advice on striking the right balance between emerging trends and practical applications. Considering industry demand, versatility, and personal interests, what are your recommendations for intermediate-level programmers looking to learn new languages this year? I tried browsing a few sites, but I couldn’t find out Furthermore, how can one balance studying languages with well-established ecosystems with learning cutting-edge ones?

Most Liked

bitmaybewise

bitmaybewise

It depends on what you want.

I learned Haskell some years ago and even though I never used it for professional development, it paid off in the sense that it allowed me to reason about my code in a completely different way. I became a better programmer because of that, no matter the language in use.

There are a bunch of cool languages to choose from: Elixir, Haskell, OCaml, Rust, Crystal, Pony, Kotlin, etc. Pick the poison you get more interested in and go for it.

Hallski

Hallski

Hi, what languages do you already know, what kind of software are you mainly looking to build or are you mainly learning for the sake of learning?

Personally, I’m currently really enjoying Go after two failed attempts at liking it over the last couple of years. This time around I’m finding it extremely liberating and fun!

The fact that it doesn’t come with a lot of bells and whistles makes me focus on what I am building, rather than trying to come up with clever solutions for how to do it.

In combination with a type system to support safer refactoring, fast compilation and the performance of a natively compiled language makes it feel like taking the positives from developing in a script language but without any of the negatives.

gulshan212

gulshan212

When choosing programming languages for you, you should be aware of versatility, personal interest, and industry demands. Here are some popular options such as Python, Rust, Kotlin, Swift, and R Language.
Thanks

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

dimitarvp
What does a developer advocate do for a living? I mean, what is it that you are paid to do? I’ve seen your description below but it doesn...
New
DevotionGeo
The version of Java installed with Android Studio on my Mac is the following (when I run java -version) openjdk version "1.8.0_242-relea...
New
sona11
How can I apply a modified date and time to a variable? This is what I get when I execute the following query in SQL Server Mgmt Studio: ...
New
finner
Hello devtalk ! Heroku are closing their free tier (dynos) later this month and I was wondering if you guys could recommend any alternat...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
Tazmeen
Hello, I am new to this forum. Not really sure if this topic is relevant for this chat at all. I apologize if its not. I am trying to c...
New
New
dPhong31415
Hey everyone :waving_hand: I’ve just recently discovered Elixir, and honestly—it’s been mind-blowing so far (coming from a React backgro...
New
conwy
Caveat: Apologies in advance – I guess this topic has probably been done to death. But if it’s Ok to ask, I just want to try again and se...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
You might be thinking we should just ask who’s not using VSCode :joy: however there are some new additions in the space that might give V...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
husaindevelop
Inside our android webview app, we are trying to paste the copied content from another app eg (notes) using navigator.clipboard.readtext ...
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
AstonJ
This is a very quick guide, you just need to: Download LM Studio: https://lmstudio.ai/ Click on search Type DeepSeek, then select the o...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Fight complexity and reclaim the original spirit of agility by learning to simplify how you develop software. The result: a more humane a...
New