harwind

harwind

JavaScript Challenge: Validating Email Addresses

I’m working on a web application where users can sign up with their email addresses. To ensure data integrity, I want to implement client-side validation to check if the email address provided by the user is in a valid format.

Here’s a simplified version of my JavaScript code:

function validateEmail(email) {
    // Regular expression to validate email format
    var regex = /* Regular expression goes here */;
    
    if (regex.test(email)) {
        return true;
    } else {
        return false;
    }
}

var userEmail = "user@example.com";
var isValid = validateEmail(userEmail);

if (isValid) {
    console.log("Email is valid.");
} else {
    console.log("Email is not valid.");
}

In this code, I have a validateEmail function that should return true if the email parameter matches a valid email format and false otherwise. However, I’m not sure what regular expression to use to validate email addresses correctly.

Could you provide a JavaScript code example that includes a regular expression for validating email addresses? Additionally, it would be helpful if you could explain how the regular expression works and any considerations for email validation in JavaScript. Thank you for your assistance!

/js

Most Liked

Bleep9279

Bleep9279

Not sure if this is applicable to your scenario, but if you’re validating user input, you can use type="email" and make this the browser’s problem.

mindriot

mindriot

According to the docs, browsers use an algorithm equivalent to this regex for email input types:

/^[a-zA-Z0-9.!#$%&'*+/=?^_`{|}~-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9](?:[a-zA-Z0-9-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?(?:\.[a-zA-Z0-9](?:[a-zA-Z0-9-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?)*$/;

So that could be a reasonably good baseline generally especially if you want to use those inputs at some point. However this does only check that the email address is of a valid format rather than necessarily meaning it is actually a valid email address, for that you likely need to go down the route of sending a validation link to the email address. It is also worth keeping in mind that if you are only doing this check in the client side then it will still be possible for someone to send messed up data directly to the server.

gulshan212

gulshan212

Can you try below code, I am sure you can get what you are looking for.

function validateEmail(email) {
    // Regular expression to validate email format
    var regex = /^[a-zA-Z0-9._%+-]+@[a-zA-Z0-9.-]+\.[a-zA-Z]{2,}$/;

    if (regex.test(email)) {
        return true;
    } else {
        return false;
    }
}

var userEmail = "user@example.com";
var isValid = validateEmail(userEmail);

if (isValid) {
    console.log("Email is valid.");
} else {
    console.log("Email is not valid.");
}

Thanks

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Jase
Do they publish their stacks or is it mostly a case of guesswork? Twitter facebook instagram snapchat tiktok google et all. Used to be we...
New
AstonJ
This article got me thinking about encrypted chat: Europol said that French police had discovered some of EncroChat’s servers were lo...
New
AstonJ
I really like our #general-developer-forum:in-the-news section and am wondering whether we could automate some of the cross-posting of th...
New
New
harwind
Consider the following bits of code: void foo(const int i) // First foo { std::cout << "First " << i << endl; } vo...
New
PaulMartin
Hey everyone! Do you have any tips or free resources that can help me learn Rspec? Although I know how to write some Rspec, I’m not very...
New
GTX
Hello everyone! I am not a developer, just wanna know if it’s possible for someone with no skills to learn how to reverse hack my hackers.
New
conwy
Caveat: Apologies in advance – I guess this topic has probably been done to death. But if it’s Ok to ask, I just want to try again and se...
New
KnowledgeIsPower
Trivy was attacked for twice recently. CheckMarx and Telnyx was attacked too. Looks like the attack is not slowing down.
New
ninav50388
Hey everyone, I’ve been a long-time reader of these forums and always appreciate the technical depth here. Lately, I’ve been hitting a bi...
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Hello Devtalk World! Please let us know a little about who you are and where you’re from :nerd_face:
New
AstonJ
I’ve been hearing quite a lot of comments relating to the sound of a keyboard, with one of the most desirable of these called ‘thock’, he...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
New
CommunityNews
A Brief Review of the Minisforum V3 AMD Tablet. Update: I have created an awesome-minisforum-v3 GitHub repository to list information fo...
New
sir.laksmana_wenk
I’m able to do the “artistic” part of game-development; character designing/modeling, music, environment modeling, etc. However, I don’t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
A masterclass in the fundamentals and principles of functional programming. Minh Quang Tran The Art of Functional Programming is a ma...
New