dimitarvp

dimitarvp

What does a developer advocate do?

What does a developer advocate do for a living? I mean, what is it that you are paid to do? I’ve seen your description below but it doesn’t tell me much. Could you elaborate?

There are some people who believe Android devices are remotely pwned by default and Google and the OEM vendor can take a peek at any moment they want. So not sure what security could even exist on such phones?

Most Liked

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Oh, I am not claiming anything about iOS vs. Android, just what I heard from people who were very much into electronics. No, I don’t have links, and I agree that conspiracy theories are normal. I am not saying that I believe them – but there would be a strong vested interest if all mobile device’s security can be remotely compromised at any time by governments, don’t you think? Basically, “follow the money and power” thing. :slight_smile:

I am not a conspiracy theorist but in the rush to have working technology people do take shortcuts and this has been acutely visible in the last several years – literally every week there are news about personal data leaks of hundreds of millions of people whose details are now on the net.


Thanks for your clarifications. From them I gather you are a programmer who also does demos and advocates for certain practices – now I understand the title better. :slight_smile:

Exadra37

Exadra37

I don’t believe that mobile devices, computers or any other type of device can all be remotely compromised by design at anytime by the government, but the reality is that Software is more buggy that anyone may think, and this is all true down into the firmware and backbone infrastructure of the internet. Some believe that some of this bugs are left there intentionally in order to be exploited by who know they exist, like the manufacturer, the government and ??? So they are not an explicit backdoor, because normally you need to chain them together to compromise a device.

So all the attackers need to do is to find exploits, specially Zero day exploits and chain them together in very clever and imaginative ways in order to compromise remotely or not the security of a device, and this is happening all the time in computers, routers, mobile phones, TVs, IOT devices, Cameras, Medical Devices, you name it :wink:

It’s in the wild for a lot of years a virus/trojan that survives resets of your computer, reinstall of the operating system. To get ride of it you need to buy a new disk.

Also is in the wild a virus/trojan for your home router that let’s the command and control server switch off from the internet all the home users that have their router compromised by it. This is an effective way to shut of regions of a country or even an entire country from accessing the internet(when the % of compromised routers is huge). To fix it you need to replace the router, because a factory reset will not fix it.

Do you want me to continue?

Exadra37

Exadra37

To be honest the scope changes with companies. In some companies you spend more time in conferences and meetups, and preparing for them, then doing anything else.

Where Next?

Popular General Dev topics Top

Kurisu
You can go directly to the last paragraph of this post to read about my concern. I was trying Git submodules then found the above po...
New
brennan
Trying to understand recursion in Elixir. Sometimes it is simple based on the problem, sometimes it is hard. Any suggestions on how to le...
New
New
DevotionGeo
I have always used antique keyboards like Cherry MX 1800 or Cherry MX 8100 and almost always have modified the switches in some way, like...
New
harwind
I have an array of objects in JavaScript, and I want to sort them based on a specific property of the objects. For example, I have an arr...
/js
New
jaeyson
Is Rust still good to learn? Last time (ages ago) I heard there was changes made by the foundation. If not, is Go suitable for api and w...
New
harwind
I’m working on a SQL query for a database containing records of customer transactions. Each transaction has a transaction_id, customer_id...
New
harwind
I’m working on a web application where users can sign up with their email addresses. To ensure data integrity, I want to implement client...
/js
New
harwind
I am working on a Python script, and you encounter an error related to the misuse of lists and tuples. Here’s a simplified version of you...
New
New

Other popular topics Top

Devtalk
Reading something? Working on something? Planning something? Changing jobs even!? If you’re up for sharing, please let us know what you’...
1063 24245 395
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Design and develop sophisticated 2D games that are as much fun to make as they are to play. From particle effects and pathfinding to soci...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
New
RobertRichards
Hair Salon Games for Girls Fun Girls Hair Saloon game is mainly developed for kids. This game allows users to select virtual avatars to ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Lint your docs like code: turn any style guide into enforceable rules with Vale and publish clear, consistent content every time. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New
xiji2646-netizen
There’s a GitHub repo at forrestchang/andrej-karpathy-skills that’s sitting at 97.8k stars. It’s a single CLAUDE.md file with four behavi...
New