Maartz

Maartz

Build It With Nitrogen Book Club

The very first time I’ve seen a line of Elixir I was in awe. Coming from Ruby the syntax was familiar.
But I wanted to know what was this “Erlang” beast, scaring so many people.
Erlang’s syntax was in fact not so “atrocious” and even quite nice.
And after watching this talk from Todd Resudek, I was convinced that to better appreciate the BEAM ecosystem, you need to grasp Erlang.

And so I’ve bought this book, it’s pretty thick but, I’m very eager to read how they dealt with all HTML, forms, string, etc. that the web represents.

I’ll use this book club to tell you how’s the journey and what are my thoughts about it.

Most Liked

OvermindDL1

OvermindDL1

The Nitrogen library is so fun. ^.^

Maartz

Maartz

Chapter 1 - Frying Pan to Fire

I really like the way the book is written. It’s like a story. It’s very different from all the other books of the same category.

Installing Nitrogen is not like installing rails nor phoenix, you need to clone the nitrogen repo under nitrogen/nitrogen.

After that, by cd into the nitrogen folder, it will generate a fresh new app with make.

make rel_inets PROJECT=devtalk

By inspecting the Makefile I can see that you’re not forced to use one specific web server like Erlang’s basic one.
You can choose between – all with different versions like slim:

  • Cowboy
  • Inets
  • Mochiweb
  • Webmachine
  • Yaws

To be honest I only knew the existence of Cowboy and Inets. Probably gonna check the others.

By cd into devtalk and running bin/nitrogen console the server starts running on 8080.

The code which interests me is under the site folder.

By crack opening the templates/bare.html as suggested by the book, I can see this:

It seems to be the Nitrogen’s “secret sauce”. Like sharding for MongoDB web-scale…

I really like the little notes like this one:

Most of the Erlang community prefers Emacs,
but the authors are oddballs and prefer Vim.

I agree a 100 percent :laughing:

It’s important to note that since Nitrogen 3, it uses Rebar3.
Also that ViM and Emacs got an extension to handle a special indentation for Nitrogen.

It goes from this:

Elements = #panel { body=[
                         #span { text="Hello, World"}
                         ]},

to this:

Elements = #panel {body=[
    #span{text="Hello, World!"}
]},

Which is in fact probably quite helpful in a big file.
The syntax reminds me of Elm, and its special way to define HTML in this style.

This first chapter is a little ice breaker, nothing too technical, but it lays the foundation of the book. I kinda like it.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Ooo exciting stuff @Maartz!! I’m looking forward to following your journey with this book and Nitrogen!

I’ll be interested in hearing your thoughts how things differ from Elixir/Phoenix-land as well if you post any :nerd_face:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

finner
As one of my New Year resolutions is to read more tech I’ve decided on an attempt to document my travels in Mannings Modern Java in Actio...
New
Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
RobertKielty
My overall initial first impressions of this book are very good. I will document my local spacemacs setup to as I work through the book.
New
rustkas
To be a more productive reader when rereading a book, it is very convenient to create small rebar3 projects based on books’ samples and i...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
RomanTurner
Agile Web Development with Rails 6 Chapter 11. Task F Currently reading and working through AWDR6 by Sam Ruby, David Bryant Copeland, a...
New
rgerardi
Hello all. Creating this space here for general discussion and chat about Powerful Command-Line Applications In Go In particular, we ca...
New
adamaiken89
Anyone is interested in a classical textbook for algorithms can go and check that.
New
AstonJ
With Tailwind now the default CSS framework shipped with Phoenix we thought it would be nice to run this book club on the Elixir Forum. ...
New
TomMahon
How did a sleepy valley become the epicenter of the technological world as we know it? In the 40th Anniversary Edition of my book, “Charg...
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Learn from the award-winning programming series that inspired the Elixir language, and go on a step-by-step journey through the most impo...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, Haskell. With Seven Languages in Seven Weeks, by Bruce A. Tate, you’ll go beyond the syntax—and...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Jamis Buck @jamis This month, we have the pleasure of spotlighting author Jamis Buck, who has written Mazes for Prog...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Leverage Elixir and the Nx ecosystem to build intelligent applications that solve real-world problems in computer vision, natural languag...
New
AstonJ
Curious what kind of results others are getting, I think actually prefer the 7B model to the 32B model, not only is it faster but the qua...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New