ohm

ohm

Design and Build Great Web APIs Book Club

I would love to begin a book club with Mike Amundsen’s (@mamund) book
Design and Build Great Web APIs.

It seems that building new systems today always involve some kind of APIs, be it that you work on the backend and need to make an API available to your frontend developers or vice versa. It could also be interesting to build public APIs in the future, and having the knowledge that this book provides could become vital. :man_scientist:

I have hijacked a couple of people to be part of it (@althegler, @CKolkey, @andersmarkc). :heart:

You are all, of course, welcome to join. I imagine we’ll use this thread to discuss the book chapter by chapter on a week-by-week basis, that is next week we’ll talk about chapter one (“Getting Started with API first”). The book contains exercises that we’ll all try to solve as well (solutions are present in the book, so it shouldn’t be a dreaded task :sweat_smile:)

All I want is a post with the chapter title and a short description about what you all thought about the chapter, along with:

  • what you learned from it, if anything
  • what’s missing, if anything
  • how you managed with the exercises

Most Liked

jss

jss

Sounds interesting. I need to learn how to design web APIs, probably learn the fundamentals.

AstonJ

AstonJ

Nice one Ohm!! I am looking forward to following how you all get on as I think I will read this book at some point too :003:

Where Next?

Popular Community topics Top

Rainer
My first contact with Erlang was about 2 years ago when I used RabbitMQ, which is written in Erlang, for my job. This made me curious and...
New
finner
As one of my New Year resolutions is to read more tech I’ve decided on an attempt to document my travels in Mannings Modern Java in Actio...
New
Tommy
So I have enough money to last a year. Realistically I’m still going to have to work part time painting. I’m so done with it though! I h...
New
mafinar
Crystal recently reached version 1. I had been following it for awhile but never got to really learn it. Most languages I picked up out o...
New
mafinar
I am going to dump my thoughts, methods, codes, experiences and rants while learning OCaml into this thread. This is probably the 5th or...
New
TwistingTwists
I have read first chapter. Will add my notes / code tries / self exploration as I go along! Thank you @AstonJ for encouraging to start ...
New
TwistingTwists
This is my Journal for readings on Designing Elixir Systems with OTP. Will post chapter 01 tomorrow! Stay tuned!
New
RomanTurner
Agile Web Development with Rails 6 Chapter 11. Task F Currently reading and working through AWDR6 by Sam Ruby, David Bryant Copeland, a...
New
ggarnier
In Aborting Multiple Fetch Requests with One Signal section, the code in abort/abort_ex09.js doesn’t show the downloaded images until Pro...
New
adamaiken89
Anyone is interested in a classical textbook for algorithms can go and check that.
New

Other popular topics Top

PragmaticBookshelf
Machine learning can be intimidating, with its reliance on math and algorithms that most programmers don't encounter in their regular wor...
New
DevotionGeo
The V Programming Language Simple language for building maintainable programs V is already mentioned couple of times in the forum, but I...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
Margaret
Hello everyone! This thread is to tell you about what authors from The Pragmatic Bookshelf are writing on Medium.
1147 29994 760
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Author Spotlight Mike Riley @mriley This month, we turn the spotlight on Mike Riley, author of Portable Python Projects. Mike’s book ...
New
First poster: bot
zig/http.zig at 7cf2cbb33ef34c1d211135f56d30fe23b6cacd42 · ziglang/zig. General-purpose programming language and toolchain for maintaini...
New
mindriot
Ok, well here are some thoughts and opinions on some of the ergonomic keyboards I have, I guess like mini review of each that I use enoug...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Write elegant Ruby code—not just correct, but idiomatic. Go beyond the vocabulary and syntax and learn to express yourself with eloquence...
New