rebelwarrior

rebelwarrior

Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: Natural Selection Chp5(p.71)

Hi Sean,

Just go your book and looking it over.

Some bg on me, I’m a ecology and evolutionary major from Princeton, later self-taught programmer. I’ve been noticing a lot of confusion on natural selection related to genetic algorithms just in general.

In general genetic algorithms aren’t based on natural selection but on artificial (human) selection. The big difference is how fitness relates to the outcome. In artificial selection you determine “fitness” a priori, that is before selection, while in evolution “fitness” really is an emergent property. It’s a little weird and that’s why evolution took such a long time to understand.

Darwin’s later adoption of the phrase “survival of the fittest” (which he didn’t coin) is probably the source of this confusion but fitness is not the determinant factor for survival. What? I know. It sounds like the exact opposite of what you’ve heard. But fitness is a property that shows up only after survival. A better way to say it would be “those that survive, tend to be more fit” A tendency that is not deterministic. Can you have the less fit survive? Well technically yes, but more importantly you have no idea what “fit” is until after selection. Remember that natural selection explains the why of speciation. Why there are many species and why they evolve not fitness. Contrast this with artificial or human selection. We breed dogs for certain qualities, we grow plants and select the seed with the qualities we most desire. Here “fitness” is determined by humans before selection, in fact, selection is based on these factors. This seems to be more closely aligned with genetic algorithms to me.

Ok getting back to the book. The following phrase “The fittest individuals are the ones that are selected to reproduce because they can pass their strong genes to the next generation.” on page 71 is technically wrong when referring to natural selection; it is correct when referring to artificial selection.

Nicely this phrase just before it “Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution suggests that strong traits that are key to survival become more common in successive generations.” is correct.

This may seem like a small thing but this misunderstanding of Natural Selection has lead to it being used as a pseudoscientific justification for discrimination in the hands of Social Darwinist, which is really just a pseudoscientific excuse to not be a nice person.

Let me know if you have any questions, happy to discuss.

– David Acevedo

Marked As Solved

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

Hey David, thanks for the excellent feedback. I see exactly what you’re saying in the sense that using analogies like this can be misleading. Overall, my understanding is that biological/genetic underpinnings in genetic algorithms go little beyond their inspiration. Despite this, I decided it was best to try to use some of these analogies in the hopes that they may be useful in understanding GAs a little better.

To your point, I see exactly how the analogy I used in that circumstance is incorrect, and how that kind of misleading analogy can be harmful. While I won’t be able to fix it before the next beta ships, I will absolutely address it before the final version.

I appreciate your feedback. If you come across any misleading analogies/inconsistencies, feel free to message me or post in here! Thank you for taking the time to make the book better!

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

abtin
page 20: … protoc command… I had to additionally run the following go get commands in order to be able to compile protobuf code using go...
New
edruder
I thought that there might be interest in using the book with Rails 6.1 and Ruby 2.7.2. I’ll note what I needed to do differently here. ...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-on Rust: question about get_component (page 295) (feel free to respond. “You dug you’re own hole… good luck”) I have somet...
New
JohnS
I can’t setup the Rails source code. This happens in a working directory containing multiple (postgres) Rails apps. With: ruby-3.0.0 s...
New
hgkjshegfskef
The test is as follows: Scenario: Intersecting a scaled sphere with a ray Given r ← ray(point(0, 0, -5), vector(0, 0, 1)) And s ← sphere...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
brunogirin
When installing Cards as an editable package, I get the following error: ERROR: File “setup.py” not found. Directory cannot be installe...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
redconfetti
Docker-Machine became part of the Docker Toolbox, which was deprecated in 2020, long after Docker Desktop supported Docker Engine nativel...
New
gorkaio
root_layout: {PentoWeb.LayoutView, :root}, This results in the following following error: no “root” html template defined for PentoWeb...
New

Other popular topics Top

DevotionGeo
I know that these benchmarks might not be the exact picture of real-world scenario, but still I expect a Rust web framework performing a ...
New
DevotionGeo
I know that -t flag is used along with -i flag for getting an interactive shell. But I cannot digest what the man page for docker run com...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
From finance to artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms are a powerful tool with a wide array of applications. But you don't need an ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Rust is an exciting new programming language combining the power of C with memory safety, fearless concurrency, and productivity boosters...
New
New
AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
mafinar
This is going to be a long an frequently posted thread. While talking to a friend of mine who has taken data structure and algorithm cou...
New
Help
I am trying to crate a game for the Nintendo switch, I wanted to use Java as I am comfortable with that programming language. Can you use...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Overarching tutorial for Python beginner and intermediate developers that teaches web development with the Flask framework. Miguel Gr...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
This book forgoes the abstract and instead provides concrete examples to help you better leverage the unique properties of Elixir, Erlang...
New

Sub Categories: