tvanderpol

tvanderpol

Genetic Algorithms in Elixir: First stab at Ch1 algorithm converges just fine? (p28)

I’ve got something of the opposite of the usual problem - my code doesn’t fail in the way the text suggests it should (when it suggests premature convergence is the cause).

I’ve ran the code a fair bit and did some debug print injecting and such but I can’t really see anything out of the ordinary - it converges on the correct answer almost instantly if I run it without any additional debug and it takes a reasonable amount of generations from what I can tell by poking at it.

Now I am clear to continue the chapter as-is, and I understand the argument being made, but I don’t understand how the algorithm is meant to fail (I do in the abstract but I mean the code as written) and that’s bugging me.

Marked As Solved

seanmor5

seanmor5

Author of Genetic Algorithms in Elixir

There was a mistake in my version of the code that forced early convergence with smaller populations that isn’t present in the book’s transcription of the code.

To better demonstrate premature convergence: set chromosome size to 1000 and population size to 100. You’ll notice your version without mutation converges much slower than with mutation. You can continue to decrease the population size further and further and you’ll reach a point where progress completely stops.

Sorry about the confusion!

Also Liked

christhekeele

christhekeele

This was on quite a new Macbook, which may be influencing results from what’s expected.

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Erlang/OTP 22 [erts-10.7.2] [64-bit] [smp:16:16]
Elixir 1.10.3

tvanderpol

tvanderpol

Perfect, thank you for responding so fast! That helps my understanding of exactly how it fails a lot.

christhekeele

christhekeele

I noticed this in the B1 edition as well!

Re:

$ elixir one_max.exs
Current Best: 32

But wait, what’s going on here? Why is the algorithm stopping on a best fitness below 42? No matter how many times you run it, the algorithm will almost always certainly stop improving below 42. The problem is premature convergence.

At this point, the chapter’s example code looks like:

Code to Date
population = for _ <- 1..10, do: for _ <- 1..42, do: Enum.random(0..1)

evaluate = fn population ->
  Enum.sort_by(population, &Enum.sum(&1), &>=/2)
end

selection = fn population ->
  population
  |> Enum.chunk_every(2)
  |> Enum.map(&List.to_tuple(&1))
end

crossover = fn population ->
  Enum.reduce(population, [], fn {p1, p2}, acc ->
    cx_point = :rand.uniform(42)
    {{h1, t1}, {h2, t2}} = {Enum.split(p1, cx_point), Enum.split(p2, cx_point)}
    [h1 ++ t2 | [h2 ++ t1 | acc]]
  end)
end

algorithm = fn population, algorithm ->
  best = Enum.max_by(population, &Enum.sum(&1))
  IO.write("\rCurrent Best: " <> Integer.to_string(Enum.sum(best)))
  if Enum.sum(best) == 42 do
    best
  else
    population
    |> evaluate.()
    |> selection.()
    |> crossover.()
    |> algorithm.(algorithm)
  end
end

solution = algorithm.(population, algorithm)
IO.write("\n Answer is \n")
IO.inspect solution

I parameterized it thusly:

Tunable version
-population = for _ <- 1..10, do: for _ <- 1..42, do: Enum.random(0..1)
+problem_size = 42
+population_size = 100
+
+population = for _ <- 1..population_size, do: for _ <- 1..problem_size, do: Enum.random(0..1)

 evaluate = fn population ->
   Enum.sort_by(population, &Enum.sum(&1), &>=/2)
 end

 selection = fn population ->
   population
   |> Enum.chunk_every(2)
   |> Enum.map(&List.to_tuple(&1))
 end

 crossover = fn population ->
   Enum.reduce(population, [], fn {p1, p2}, acc ->
-    cx_point = :rand.uniform(42)
+    cx_point = :rand.uniform(problem_size)
     {{h1, t1}, {h2, t2}} = {Enum.split(p1, cx_point), Enum.split(p2, cx_point)}
     [h1 ++ t2 | [h2 ++ t1 | acc]]
   end)
 end

 algorithm = fn population, algorithm ->
   best = Enum.max_by(population, &Enum.sum(&1))
   IO.write("\rCurrent Best: " <> Integer.to_string(Enum.sum(best)))
-  if Enum.sum(best) == 42 do
+  if Enum.sum(best) == problem_size do
     best
   else
     population
     |> evaluate.()
     |> selection.()
     |> crossover.()
     |> algorithm.(algorithm)
   end
 end

 solution = algorithm.(population, algorithm)
 IO.write("\n Answer is \n")
 IO.inspect solution

In my experimentation, with problem_size = 42, not only did population_size = 100 always converge on the best answer, but even as low as population_size = 8 consistently converged. I started seeing the need for mutation around population_size = 6, which normally gets stuck around 35.

Alternatively, increasing the size of the problem to problem_size = 420 usually converged correctly, but with enough time to watch things work. problem_size = 4200 consistently gets stuck around 2400, as the narrative of the chapter wants it to.

Where Next?

Popular Pragmatic Bookshelf topics Top

jimmykiang
This test is broken right out of the box… — FAIL: TestAgent (7.82s) agent_test.go:77: Error Trace: agent_test.go:77 agent_test.go:...
New
jeffmcompsci
Title: Design and Build Great Web APIs - typo “https://company-atk.herokuapp.com/2258ie4t68jv” (page 19, third bullet in URL list) Typo:...
New
GilWright
Working through the steps (checking that the Info,plist matches exactly), run the demo game and what appears is grey but does not fill th...
New
ianwillie
Hello Brian, I have some problems with running the code in your book. I like the style of the book very much and I have learnt a lot as...
New
mikecargal
Title: Hands-On Rust (Chapter 11: prefab) Just played a couple of amulet-less games. With a bit of debugging, I believe that your can_p...
New
Mmm
Hi, build fails on: bracket-lib = “~0.8.1” when running on Mac Mini M1 Rust version 1.5.0: Compiling winit v0.22.2 error[E0308]: mi...
New
leba0495
Hello! Thanks for the great book. I was attempting the Trie (chap 17) exercises and for number 4 the solution provided for the autocorre...
New
digitalbias
Title: Build a Weather Station with Elixir and Nerves: Problem connecting to Postgres with Grafana on (page 64) If you follow the defau...
New
oaklandgit
Hi, I completed chapter 6 but am getting the following error when running: thread 'main' panicked at 'Failed to load texture: IoError(O...
New
tkhobbes
After some hassle, I was able to finally run bin/setup, now I have started the rails server but I get this error message right when I vis...
New

Other popular topics Top

AstonJ
This looks like a stunning keycap set :orange_heart: A LEGENDARY KEYBOARD LIVES ON When you bought an Apple Macintosh computer in the e...
New
AstonJ
Continuing the discussion from Thinking about learning Crystal, let’s discuss - I was wondering which languages don’t GC - maybe we can c...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Create efficient, elegant software tests in pytest, Python's most powerful testing framework. Brian Okken @brianokken Edited by Kat...
New
AstonJ
If you get Can't find emacs in your PATH when trying to install Doom Emacs on your Mac you… just… need to install Emacs first! :lol: bre...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build efficient applications that exploit the unique benefits of a pure functional language, learning from an engineer who uses Haskell t...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
25 puzzles that will make you a better C programmer by challenging your knowledge of the language, and explaining the technical details o...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Build modern server-driven web applications using htmx. Whatever programming language you use, you’ll write less (and cleaner) code. ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Get the comprehensive, insider information you need for Rails 8 with the new edition of this award-winning classic. Sam Ruby @rubys ...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Escape callback hell and ship fast, clean code that reads as smoothly as it runs. Squash bugs and stamp out memory leaks with an intuitiv...
New
PragmaticBookshelf
Use advanced functional programming principles, practical Domain-Driven Design techniques, and production-ready Elixir code to build scal...
New

Sub Categories: